What's new

Just Getting Started

Hello B&B!

I had to finally join the forum after learning so much from just reading what I could find here and wanted to say, "Thanks!". The information I have found I believe has helped me get off on the right path toward successfully transitioning to DE shaving.

My previous frustration at the cost of multi-blade cartridges led me to just buy a bulk pack of disposables at Costco and make them last the year. That experience can get the job done, but I finally wanted more than just to get through the daily chore of shaving.

I don't know how I finally was directed to DE shaving, but here I am. After reading all of the great tutorials here and elsewhere, I tried to balance the cost of getting started without spending too much. I also wanted a decent place to start so I wouldn't immediately give up. So, here is what I have started with and am now about 2 weeks into DE shaving:

Weishi TTO razor with gunmetal finish - love the finish and the handle design
Frank Shaving Brush and stand - basic model with Rosewood finish
Col. Conk Apothecary Mug and soap - wanted to have the old world feel when shaving
Assortment of blades

I'll keep it short with my initial thoughts and what I've learned. I am first having to learn to break old habits. I was used to short strokes going over the area I just shaved immediately when using a disposable or multi-blade razor. I have to remember to use longer strokes and not to go over the same area multiple times. I need to wait until the second pass after lathering again and let the technique work as intended.

To go against the grain or not to go against the grain? Ok, so I've seen a tutorial by the owner of The Gentlemen's Shop in the UK who advises not to go against the grain on the neck area. I've tried that, but I have read where most on the forum seem to go ATG on the second pass on the neck area. Maybe this is personal preference or if one is prone to ingrown hairs. I know that when I go ATG, that the next day my hair growth isn't as exposed (for obvious reasons) and it can result in additional razor burn. Not going ATG allows for more growth so that the next morning there is more for the razor to grab on to. I'm still experimenting with this.

Overall, I am getting good shaves, but still learning how to keep my technique consistent so that I avoid those missed patches and do a better job at the tricky areas around the chin and mouth.

Well, I thought I would be short and to the point.

Welcome aboard!

Glad you could join us. I would suggest you review the forum Wiki pages for some excellent articles on wetshaving. Until you are more comfortable with your technique, I suggest you stay away from ATG passes. Keep us posted.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Practice a bit more before going ATG. Also, you might want to do a pass XTG before ATG on the neck.

Welcome to the B&B! +1 on waiting for the ATG. Glad to see the tutorials have been helpful. There's a wealth of info in the tutorials. Another good resource is the Mantic videos found on YouTube. My experience was to stay away from the ATG until I felt more comfortable with my technique. The sequence that works best for me is WTG, XTG, and ATG. As already stated YMMV. Keep at developing the technique and you will find the best shaves ever.

You have the right attitude for success. Every day is an experiment, especially in the early days. Just a reminder that ATG depends on the grain direction. It takes some time to determine which way the whiskers grow on various parts of the face and neck.

Keep a light touch, will you? That makes everything easier. A more aggressive angle of attack works well with a light touch.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I also appreciate the tips on experimenting with going ATG. I have to admit that last night I did just that after having a little extra growth. I think with my improved technique it was the best shave I've had yet, but I did take extra time. I especially noticed much less irritation, so maybe my touch was a bit lighter yet effective. That won't be as much of an option while getting read for work tomorrow, so I will stay WTG. I find that my beard growth does go in different directions on the neck, so I will be experimenting with different types of passes.

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Top Bottom