What's new

Bay Rum @ Home

Sitting in front of me are (now were) two brown glass bottles, 4 oz each, a bit shy of a half bottle of Sailor Jerry, some unscented Thayers, 3 key limes, a half oz of bay essential oil, some pepper corns, cinnamon sticks and the most expensive bottled water I could find. My plan is to try and make two different bay rums. One with cinnamon and one with lime and pepper corns. In cooking I don’t believe in measuring, and I don’t see a reason to start now. This could end badly, but it might work.

FYI – The lady at the natural/whole food store suggested about a table spoon of vodka, pure drinking water and 30-40 drops of the essential oil. I didn’t listen to her.

First bottle: Filled about half way with the hooch, and then added 60 drops of the essential oil. I cut the rind off three key limes, then decided to drop in a few chunks of the limes themselves. To this I added 10 pepper corns, and then another ten or so. I squirted in the Thayers (probably about an ounce, as it looked to be about ¼ the bottle) and then topped it off with the expensive drinking water.

Second bottle: Half way up with Sailor Jerry (left me exactly with a shot’s worth, woohoo!), an oz or so of the Thayers and then the water. I then added 2 cinnamon sticks.

Shook each one a bit and now the wait. As ridiculous as it sounds, they both smell pretty decent right off the bat. I am thinking I will give it at least a couple weeks, but I also know that I don’t have the self control for that.

I wonder how the non peppercorn one would turn out if you put a chunk of fresh coconut in it or a stick of sandalwood. I crushed nutmeg might be nice. too. I am not sure about cutting it with water, it may have been better to thin it out with witch hazel.

Forget the xpensive water.
Pure Distilled Water 1.00 dollar a gallon at the grocery.
Contains no minerals to react with your mixture.

Sitting in front of me are (now were) two brown glass bottles, 4 oz each, a bit shy of a half bottle of Sailor Jerry, some unscented Thayers, 3 key limes, a half oz of bay essential oil, some pepper corns, cinnamon sticks and the most expensive bottled water I could find. My plan is to try and make two different bay rums. One with cinnamon and one with lime and pepper corns. In cooking I don’t believe in measuring, and I don’t see a reason to start now. This could end badly, but it might work.

FYI – The lady at the natural/whole food store suggested about a table spoon of vodka, pure drinking water and 30-40 drops of the essential oil. I didn’t listen to her.

First bottle: Filled about half way with the hooch, and then added 60 drops of the essential oil. I cut the rind off three key limes, then decided to drop in a few chunks of the limes themselves. To this I added 10 pepper corns, and then another ten or so. I squirted in the Thayers (probably about an ounce, as it looked to be about ¼ the bottle) and then topped it off with the expensive drinking water.

Second bottle: Half way up with Sailor Jerry (left me exactly with a shot’s worth, woohoo!), an oz or so of the Thayers and then the water. I then added 2 cinnamon sticks.

Shook each one a bit and now the wait. As ridiculous as it sounds, they both smell pretty decent right off the bat. I am thinking I will give it at least a couple weeks, but I also know that I don’t have the self control for that.

Forget the essential oil. It won't permanently blend with what you've got. It will separate overnight. Be prepared to shake heavily before every use.

welcome to the club. I've made Bay Rum myself and love it. let them sit for at least 2 weeks to let all ingredients permeate the liquid. :thumbup:

Top Bottom