What's new

Ever strop a Feather AC?

So, I've been using Feather Super Pro AC blades for several weeks now. I can get 3 perfectly good shaves with one blade, then the 4th shave can get a bit choppy, but passable. So, after 3 shaves with my last blade, I decided to try stropping it, figuring if it didn't work I wouldn't lose out on much. It definitely made enough of an improvement to make the 4th shave fantastic. Does anyone strop their Feather AC blades? I realize they are disposable to cut down on maintenance, but I'd like to extend blade life a little if possible.

I think the number of shaves from a feather blade is going to be quite different for each user. I get anywhere between 5 to 10 shaves per blade. As soon as I feel the blade is not up to par, I can it.

Stropping a feather blade is an interesting concept, and I wouldn't be opposed to giving it a shot. How would you propose doing it though, on your hand or on some type of strop?

I also use the Parker straights and Shark half blades. I'll get 2 shaves for sure, and sometimes even a third. 240 Shark half blades are only a few dollars, so I don't see a need to attempt stropping them.

I stropped a Superpro on chromox to try and tame it down a bit when I was first getting accustomed to the blades.

Other than that, I strop on a towel after the shave to clear away the shave debris.

I get about 10 shaves or more out of a blade (no chromox). With Classic's recent price hike, a few trips on the chromox may be just the ticket!

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet that one can easily strop to extend it to the point where it would otherwise need 'honing' to keep it going. In other words, just like a regular straight can be stropped to stay in shape, any shaving edge can be stropped 'till the time comes that it needs a hone to restore a shaving edge.

I have very tough hairs in my chin and mustache area; I think if it wasn't for them I could easily go a week on a blade. I just started a new blade this morning, so I think I'll see how long I can go with it. I'm using a cheap, homemade paddle strop with Tandy leather. I'll try stropping before the 3rd shave and before each shave after that.

Just thought I'd update this thread with my results. I managed to barely get a 5th shave out of a blade by stropping before the 3rd shave and before the next two. It should be noted that I am probably the world's worst stropper. In conclusion, based solely on my personal experience, I'll probably strop before the 4th shave only, then pitch it.

I strop with a wash cloth occasionally, only to tame the edge, not to align it or make the blade last longer. The wash cloth acts as a sort of finishing stone if you will.

If I used my leather strop for this purpose, Murphy's Law would no doubt would come into effect and take a slice of leather, leaving me to ponder once again, what in the world possessed me to do such a thing. :biggrin:

im unfamiliar with them - are the feather plades coated like DE ones?

According to the microscope images I've taken of the Feather blades, the PTFE coating dissapears after the first shave anyhow, so don't let that hold you back!

In other news: I am experimenting with reversing the blade (front becomes the back, capeesh?) after 3-4 shaves, as I tend to use the front half on the blade predominantly. By flipping it, I am hoping to extend the lifetime of the blade.

I just stropped up a 10x used SuperPro on a fabric strop (OK, it was actually the pant leg of a pair of chinos that I had looped around the towel rack in the bathroom), no way I'm going to strop a disposable blade straight on one of my nice leather strops...

The blade had been still shaving well, but maybe not quite as close as before...we'll see what the morning brings.

I'm willing to bet that one can easily strop to extend it to the point where it would otherwise need 'honing' to keep it going. In other words, just like a regular straight can be stropped to stay in shape, any shaving edge can be stropped 'till the time comes that it needs a hone to restore a shaving edge.

Quite correct. I both strop and hone blades in my DX (protecting the blade holder with tape) and get further use out of them (until I decide I want that "fresh blade" feeling, which happens about shave 13).

Just to note: on a DE Feather, I get one wonderful shave, and up to two more with stropping (mounted in a Shavette) and with the DX, I get three excellent shaves with a Super, then one per strop until about shave 10, then hone and strop and it's almost as good as new.

Strops and blades are cheap, so I see no problem with devoting one decent leather strop to this purpose.

Regards,

- John

According to the microscope images I've taken of the Feather blades, the PTFE coating dissapears after the first shave anyhow, so don't let that hold you back!

In other news: I am experimenting with reversing the blade (front becomes the back, capeesh?) after 3-4 shaves, as I tend to use the front half on the blade predominantly. By flipping it, I am hoping to extend the lifetime of the blade.

Interesting idea, I may try this on the next new blade. Since I only use my dominant hand to shave, one side of the blade gets used much more than the other. I will probably flip it after shave 2.

I just stropped up a 10x used SuperPro on a fabric strop (OK, it was actually the pant leg of a pair of chinos that I had looped around the towel rack in the bathroom), no way I'm going to strop a disposable blade straight on one of my nice leather strops...

The blade had been still shaving well, but maybe not quite as close as before...we'll see what the morning brings.

I didn't like the feel that the chino pant strop imparted to the blade, so I binned it.

Maybe I'll try a dedicated $25 strop for the razor?

I flipped the blade after the 2nd shave, and I just finished my 5th shave with it this morning. I'll probably flip it again before 6 and see if I can still squeeze some life out of it. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom