Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Antique Store Finds

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Valencia, Pa.
    Posts
    62

    Default Antique Store Finds

    Went to the local antique shop today and found these. The blades look darker than they really are because of the lighting outside this evening. Three probably need re-scaled but the metal looks really nice. Here's the sweetness of this deal...the J.Elliot (#1 photo) cost me $11, the J. Rodgers and Chatillon (#2 and #3 photo) cost me $15 each and the beat up J.R. Torrey (#4 photo) cost me $1 (and it will for sure refurbish up to a new looking razor, with new scales of course.

    Can anybody tell me anything about the Chatillon (made in Germany.)

    And I'm thinking the two white scales are Ivory...what do you all think?

    Thanks for looking.

    Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails joseph-elliot1.jpg   joseph-rodgers-&-sons.jpg   chatillon1.jpg   jr-torrey2.jpg  
    Last edited by jabomano; 09-10-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    If dogs don't go to Heaven then I want to go where they go.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,055

    Default

    Nice! The last one is actually my favorite! I'd love to find one like that, congratulations!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Wow nice find!
    "Danny" - Heljestrand "Rex" straight and Gillette "20 Old Type.

  4. #4
    pedro083

    Default

    Real nice finds I have never been able to find anything but rolls razors in antique shops, so well done

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    615

    Default

    I would kill something...probably an elephant...for ivory!! I love that razor on the bottom left. If those are actual ivory scales, I'd love it!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Medina, Ohio
    Posts
    257

    Default

    The first one looks like bone (see how porous it is? That's bone). The second MAY be ivory, but I dunno... Not experienced enough

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShavedZombie View Post
    The first one looks like bone (see how porous it is? That's bone). The second MAY be ivory, but I dunno... Not experienced enough

    I could be wrong but I believe both white scales are bone... Ivory if it was very old at all and that would have to be if it was made anytime before the ban on Ivory products (I believe that was in the 1930s) would be very yellowed almost a custard color. it would also have a slight texture to it almost like a wood grain.

    If you have a UV light you can check these... if it Ivory then it will be very bright and flourescent
    I am a Descendant of Nobility, Leicester of England and Von Hinrichs of Germany.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    615

    Default

    The international ban on Ivory was in the 1980s. I know what real ivory feels like; my piano-teacher had this antique German piano, complete with ivory keys...the feel of real ivory...oh my. It's not something you can reproduce in factories. I'd love to own just ONE practical item made of ivory. A straight-razor sounds like a good start.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    The international ban on Ivory was in the 1980s. I know what real ivory feels like; my piano-teacher had this antique German piano, complete with ivory keys...the feel of real ivory...oh my. It's not something you can reproduce in factories. I'd love to own just ONE practical item made of ivory. A straight-razor sounds like a good start.

    I was referring to the US ban on Ivory which I sure was started long before the international ban. However I could be wrong on the date that it was started here in the USA.

    The point was that Ivory that is more than a few years old yellows and as you said it has a feel like nothing you have ever felt before or will feel again.

    Also if this was real Ivory, it would require some form of documentation showing that it was manufactured prior to the US ban which was long before the international ban. if there is no documentation the seller and the buyer could face stiff fines and or jail time for it.
    I am a Descendant of Nobility, Leicester of England and Von Hinrichs of Germany.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue58 View Post
    I was referring to the US ban on Ivory which I sure was started long before the international ban. However I could be wrong on the date that it was started here in the USA.

    The point was that Ivory that is more than a few years old yellows and as you said it has a feel like nothing you have ever felt before or will feel again.

    Also if this was real Ivory, it would require some form of documentation showing that it was manufactured prior to the US ban which was long before the international ban. if there is no documentation the seller and the buyer could face stiff fines and or jail time for it.
    My apologies, I wasn't aware that there was an American ban as well. You're quite right, ivory does yellow slightly as time goes by (that's why ivory piano-keys turn yellow) and it does have that wonderful, soft, grainy, smooth feel to it. *Droolz*

    Unfortunately, real ivory costs a damn fortune, and antique ivory is even more expensive. And like you say, you require all the legal paperwork to go with it.

    By the way, is it true that if you expose ivory to sunlight, it eventually gets bleached back to its original creamy whiteness?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    My apologies, I wasn't aware that there was an American ban as well. You're quite right, ivory does yellow slightly as time goes by (that's why ivory piano-keys turn yellow) and it does have that wonderful, soft, grainy, smooth feel to it. *Droolz*

    Unfortunately, real ivory costs a damn fortune, and antique ivory is even more expensive. And like you say, you require all the legal paperwork to go with it.

    By the way, is it true that if you expose ivory to sunlight, it eventually gets bleached back to its original creamy whiteness?

    I would think that is why it turned yellow to begin with.... sunlight
    I am a Descendant of Nobility, Leicester of England and Von Hinrichs of Germany.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Avondale, PA
    Posts
    7,688
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue58 View Post
    Also if this was real Ivory, it would require some form of documentation showing that it was manufactured prior to the US ban which was long before the international ban. if there is no documentation the seller and the buyer could face stiff fines and or jail time for it.

    Maybe in theory. In practice, no. I've bought tons of Ivory razors locally and on eBay. I've NEVER seen any preban documentation. However, both those razors look bone to me. (Though I'm not 100% sure.) I like the patterning on the one in the 3rd pic down by the pin at the toe end. How about a closeup?
    Ivory scales aren't too hard to find. I've gotten LOTS of ones with major splits or minor chips that don't affect the razor for well under $50 on eBay. I've picked up a few fancy ones for $50-200. There are three main things that make Ivory fetch the big bucks on a razor.

    1. Carving
    2. Pinning
    3. Scrimshaw
    and Inlay work (to a lesser extent).

    In my collection right now I have...


    Geo Erbo
    Gold Dollar (Rescale obviously)
    Comfort (minor chip)
    Zaliel
    Unknown 2" razor
    Fred Dolle
    Henri Martin (simple carve)
    Secret razor (Until it's ready for a SOTD unveiling)
    Geo (scrimshaw)


    I've also got a couple more I'm currently restoring.

    And I don't specifically seek it out, these are just the razors I've gotten through my razor collecting.

    A big mistake people use is the whole "Pores = bone" thing. Ivory has pores too. I believe more pores mean it's from closer to the bark, but that's just a guess. Bone tends to be cut thicker, but not always. The feel is the main difference. Ivory feels waxy to me, like it was just polished, all the time. Bone feels a bit lighter and more hollow, also.
    Last edited by SliceOfLife; 09-13-2010 at 10:19 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SliceOfLife View Post
    Maybe in theory. In practice, no. I've bought tons of Ivory razors locally and on eBay. I've NEVER seen any preban documentation. However, both those razors look bone to me. (Though I'm not 100% sure.) I like the patterning on the one in the 3rd pic down by the pin at the toe end. How about a closeup?
    Ivory scales aren't too hard to find. I've gotten LOTS of ones with major splits or minor chips that don't affect the razor for well under $50 on eBay. I've picked up a few fancy ones for $50-200. There are three main things that make Ivory fetch the big bucks on a razor.

    1. Carving
    2. Pinning
    3. Scrimshaw
    and Inlay work (to a lesser extent).

    In my collection right now I have...


    Geo Erbo
    Gold Dollar (Rescale obviously)
    Comfort (minor chip)
    Zaliel
    Unknown 2" razor
    Fred Dolle
    Henri Martin (simple carve)
    Secret razor (Until it's ready for a SOTD unveiling)
    Geo (scrimshaw)


    I've also got a couple more I'm currently restoring.

    And I don't specifically seek it out, these are just the razors I've gotten through my razor collecting.

    A big mistake people use is the whole "Pores = bone" thing. Ivory has pores too. I believe more pores mean it's from closer to the bark, but that's just a guess. Bone tends to be cut thicker, but not always. The feel is the main difference. Ivory feels waxy to me, like it was just polished, all the time. Bone feels a bit lighter and more hollow, also.

    you can see how often I have the good fortune to find something like Ivory scales .... NEVER .. and with my luck if I did find it I would also find an outrageous price to go with it

    Anyway thank you Slice for the very useful info. I have always read and been told that there must be documentation to go with the Ivory. But as you have pointed out this is seldom the case.
    I am a Descendant of Nobility, Leicester of England and Von Hinrichs of Germany.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    615

    Default

    I thought the sunlight would bleach the ivory white again, or at least that's what someone told me. Maybe they were wrong. Oh to have an ivory razor. Or a polished bone one that looks similar. I wonder what those things go for...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Valencia, Pa.
    Posts
    62
    Thread Starter

    Default

    I know that the Joseph Rodgers straight is bone but still am not sure of the Chatillon. The texture is much waxier than the bone and not near as many pores.
    Has anybody heard of the Chatillon straights?

    Ray
    If dogs don't go to Heaven then I want to go where they go.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    I thought the sunlight would bleach the ivory white again, or at least that's what someone told me. Maybe they were wrong. Oh to have an ivory razor. Or a polished bone one that looks similar. I wonder what those things go for...
    No sunlight won't make yellowed ivory white again.

    From what I understand of the ivory ban, there is still a lot of ivory being traded from legal sources, like that which comes from animals that die natural deaths. But as far as items that were crafted from ivory and are in the country, you can buy and sell them all you want without paperwork. You just can't go around selling raw ivory without proof that it came from a legal source (ie. not poached).


    I tried to sell a high-end pool cue on eBay that has ivory inlays. For all I know that ivory came from Walrus tusks, but that didn't stop eBay from deleting my auction and still charging me the listing fees. Either way, the builder of the cue certainly didn't buy poached ivory. Cue builders either buy legal ivory and pass along the expense or they use any of several ivory substitutes. They're not going to risk going to jail for an extra c-note here and there.

    Funny thing is, I can pull up 5 cues on eBay at any given time all of which have ivory inlays.
    Last edited by cswann1; 09-15-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. My antique store finds! Let me know what you think!
    By ThomasD in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 07:50 AM
  2. Maybe finds at an antique store? Help?
    By Angry__Panda in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-16-2011, 03:06 PM
  3. Antique store finds
    By dustyhanson in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 05:34 PM
  4. The $8 Fat Boy (and other antique store finds).
    By T Rick in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
  5. More Antique Store Finds!!
    By michiganlover in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.