What's new

Do you clean your brush in any way when switching between soaps/creams?

Hi gents,

Question in the title: Do you clean your brush in any way when rotating between soaps/creams so the scents don't "contaminate" one another? Or is this a non-issue?

EDIT: I don't mean switching from a soap to a cream, but between different scents of either one.
- ice

It isn't an issue for me, after I'm done shaving with soap, or cream, I just rinse the brush, squeeze out the water, and swirl the brush in my palm under running water, then shake out water, and leave to dry. And now and then, wash the brush completely with some shampoo.

Nope. When I rinse the brush after i'm done the scent has become so faint and when the brush has finished drying the scent has nearly gone. I could use tabac one day and use cade the next and I can smell the cade over the forest of tabac.

No, I just rinse out the brush when I am done. I stopped sniffing my brush when it was new, the wet dog smell cured my brush sniffing ways.:laugh:

There really is no need to. Some things, such as pipes, do seem to take hold of scents and flavors, but brushes do not.

Nope.

When done shaving, I rinse brush, running fingers through bristles, then squeeze and shake about 25 shakes. I use a different soap about every day and have no problem.

No, nothing different here either. Pen's English Fern scent, though, does tend to stick around in the brush for another day or two, particularly when using another mildly scented product.

I follow pretty much the same regimen as most of the others. I use a wide variety of soaps and creams and I have never had any lingering scent issues even though I use some strong scented products. For the last few years I have rotated brushes, although for many years I did not follow that practice.

Happy shaving,

Doug

The same basic rules mentioned above and never had any issue. Just rinse the brush with abundant water to perfectly clean it. Shake it properly to make sure water is out, leave it to dry and ready for next shaving.

After every shave, I rinse my brush out thoroughly with warm water. Once in a while, I might clean my brush more thoroughly in a diluted borax solution (maybe a teaspoon or so in 2 cups of warm water). If it's a badger brush, I just make the solution and drop it in to let it soak for a few minutes. If it's a boar, I soak it in the water for 5 minutes first, then add the borax, so that the bristles don't absorb it (but still get cleaned).

Basically the same as everyone else. Rinse the brush under running warm/hot water, swirl it on my palm under running water to get all soap/cream out, rinse under hot water again, shake it (sometimes squeeze as well), and hang to dry.

A good rinse, a shake and then it moves into the stand, taking the place of the previous days brush. I like to give it at least two days to dry although, with boars, I usually prefer at least three days to dry completely.

Top Bottom