What's new

So It Begins (Shave Diary)

So here it is, my shave diary. Some of you might remember that my mother was sending me a set up (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=166284)... And she did. It was a kit setup from The Art of Shaving. Shave cream/Pre-shave oil and balm in Sandlewood. I didn't think I'd like the scent of sandlewood but I do. I also got a badger hair brush and a Merkur 33C Classic.

I couldn't sleep... I'm anxious as I might be getting a new job, which will vastly improve my life. The only catch is I played the "negotiate for a few bucks more on my salary" game, which I've never done, so I'm a bit worried I blew it! The rational side of me still thinks worst possible case scenario they'll just offer me what they already did "take it or leave it" style... Long story short: I couldn't sleep so I figured I'd do something productive; Shower and shave time!

Today was my first shave with the setup. I drew some hot water in a bowl and left my brush to soak while I took a shower. When I was done showering I threw on some of the pre-shave oil (which felt and smelt a lot like olive oil with some other addatives, but what do I know, I'm a newb), and stepped out of the shower.

I whipped up some lather that looked a lot like what you gentleman have said it should, and it peaked between my fingers and felt pretty slick so I painted up my face and went to town. No pressure and WTG for the first pass. Everything felt really decent, no nicks, nothing strange until I got down around the chin and directly under. I missed a bit directly under my chin, but the rest seemed to go well. I splashed on some more water and re-lathered for a second pass, because things felt so good. I went slightly XTG on the cheeks and down to the jawline, as well as around my lips and chin... Then I thought I'd suddenly become a pro so I tried ATG up the neck, which was, of course, the exact mistake I knew it would be. Nothing really bad, one nick and it honestly doesn't hurt now. Lesson learned.

Honestly my first DE shave went a lot better than I'd expected... No serious cuts and my face doesn't burn right now, so I'm happy. I used the blade that came with the Merkur, which I should probably change as I've heard there are better things to work with.

In any event I'll spend more time next time with my shave and with my write up here (for other brand new shavers)... The anxiety level is just a little too high today for it.

Last edited:
And if there is one thing I can tell new Wetshavers it would be this:

It's not that bad guys, give it a go, you'll be surprised.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was one of those things I knew was stupid when I did it ;)

The XTG did, however, go very well... So I kind of suckered myself into it. A rookie mistake I'm sure is repeated no matter how many times we're told not to do it!

Last edited:
Welcome along on here and I hope you get the new job!!
Sounds like you did a decent enough shave for your first go so keep up he good work! Go slow, no pressure, stay focused and you'll be fine:thumbup1:

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm still enjoying the light sandlewood scent that the cream left. I was dead set on getting some Violet soap from GFT but now I'm DEAD set on getting some Sandlewood AND Violet soap. Goodness, I swore to myself that I wouldn't pick up any AD's but honestly I already own 5 razors...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thank you for the encouragement. I'm still enjoying the light sandlewood scent that the cream left. I was dead set on getting some Violet soap from GFT but now I'm DEAD set on getting some Sandlewood AND Violet soap. Goodness, I swore to myself that I wouldn't pick up any AD's but honestly I already own 5 razors...

That's a good start!

From the Geo F. Trumper website, they sell a sample pack where you only pay for shipping. It contains both sandalwood and violet if my memory is right.

Congratulations!

Remember, every journey begins with the first step. You're doing really well and it will keep getting better.

I'll be reading your entries. I'm beginning my journey in a few days when my stuff arrives. :) Sounds like your first shave went quite well, congrats!

Thanks everyone. No shaves to speak of since the first, but I'll keep everyone posted. I got the job so that's awesome... I'm blaming my shave ;)

That's a good start!

From the Geo F. Trumper website, they sell a sample pack where you only pay for shipping. It contains both sandalwood and violet if my memory is right.

I see the sample pack with creams. I'm going to write them and see if they would do something similar with soaps. I've heard they're good about requests like that.

I intend to do a write up on my AoS badger brush in here shortly. After a few shaves and some more time with it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. No shaves to speak of since the first, but I'll keep everyone posted. I got the job so that's awesome... I'm blaming my shave ;)

Mega congrats on the new job and it was definitely the DE shave that got it for you. I mean, look at my avatar and you can see what wet shaving has done for me...:laugh:

Luc

Staff member
So, as this is my diary, and hence subject to my musings I'm including the following random thoughts for 13 Sept 2010:

I have a few razors that I will not be using for a while. Would anyone like to BORROW them? I'd be willing to let them out of my sight for up to a month and a week (to give time for shipping both directions) provided they're cared for (don't drop a brick on it) and returned sans blood. CONUS would be a requirement for now, as I live in Montana and don't want to send this stuff to Russia (not for any other reason than shipping costs).

I have a Fat Handled Tech, a Flare Tip Superspeed, and a Ball End Tech.

I will eventually have some AoS sandalwood cream for loan out/trade/exchange as well.

It's like the B&B Exchange Program!

There used to be a social group to lend razors... I would say, keep them for now and if you don't want them then you could sell them.

If there used to be a social group to lend razors I will assume it died for a reason ;) I can certainly understand how loaning out gear could be a problem. We'll go with your advice on this one as you seem to be well grounded in what is a good idea as far as this stuff is concerned.

It's not that I don't want them, I'd like to make one of them my daily shaver for sure... It's mostly that I have a Merkur 23C Long Handle that I'll be using for a while, on the advice of many to only change one thing at a time as a new wetshaver. For the time being that change will be blades as I recently bought a sample pack from WestCoast.

13 Sept 2010- 2nd DE Shave

Razor:Merkur 23C Long Handle
Cream: AoS Sandalwood
Brush: AoS Pure Badger
Blade: Walgreens DE blade (Heck YES!)
Prep: Hot shower

Today was my second DE shave. I stuck the brush in a bowl of hot water while I showered. I skipped the AoS pre-shave oil today as I felt it had little impact on my first shave. In any event I did two WTG passes and an XTG pass splashing my face with hot water and relathering each time.

There was little irritation, a bit down my neck on the sides and outside of that, nothing serious to speak about. I *felt* a nick but no blood, no actual nick, so that was cool.

The Walgreens blade was better, I felt, than the Merkur blade that came with the razor. I have a sample pack coming from WestCoast so we'll have to see if things get even better. My assumption is that they do.

Lets talk lather: I'm unsure if my lather is correct. It peaks nicely, and feels *somewhat* slick, but I wonder if it could be a bit better. I want to be a soap guy at some point as well, but that is no excuse for submaximal cream lather. Basically I think I just need to make a few bowls of it on an off day. The fact that I'm whipping it up in a really shallow soup bowl isn't helping either as

A) The lather gets cool very quickly
B) I end up spilling it outside of the bowl
C) Spilling it outside of the bowl makes me timid with how well I work the lather as I try not to make a huge mess.

It would also be of interest to note that some of the irritation I'm feeling probably comes from the fact that I will make a pass, clearing away the lather, and then, as I am used to a cartridge razor with one of those little slick strips that deposit goo on your face, I'll go over the area again instinctively. The problem is you can't get away with that with a DE as the lather is the slick strip and once you've gone over the area it's all gone.

Speaking of which that is a positive note: My blade angle in most places seems good. Not too shallow or otherwise as it shaves well, isn't irritating, and it clears away the lather cleanly.
I do have one recurring trouble area. I find it hard to get a decent shave directly below the front of my chin (down the neck so to speak) and on the sides of my neck. I think to get that part of my shave truly smooth I’ll need to go ATG, which as noted in my first shave entry, I will be laying off of for a while.

So you lather gurus out there, let’s talk about lather!

Luc

Staff member
13 Sept 2010- 2nd DE Shave

Razor:Merkur 23C Long Handle
Cream: AoS Sandalwood
Brush: AoS Pure Badger
Blade: Walgreens DE blade (Heck YES!)
Prep: Hot shower

Today was my second DE shave. I stuck the brush in a bowl of hot water while I showered. I skipped the AoS pre-shave oil today as I felt it had little impact on my first shave. In any event I did two WTG passes and an XTG pass splashing my face with hot water and relathering each time.

There was little irritation, a bit down my neck on the sides and outside of that, nothing serious to speak about. I *felt* a nick but no blood, no actual nick, so that was cool.

The Walgreens blade was better, I felt, than the Merkur blade that came with the razor. I have a sample pack coming from WestCoast so we'll have to see if things get even better. My assumption is that they do.

Lets talk lather: I'm unsure if my lather is correct. It peaks nicely, and feels *somewhat* slick, but I wonder if it could be a bit better. I want to be a soap guy at some point as well, but that is no excuse for submaximal cream lather. Basically I think I just need to make a few bowls of it on an off day. The fact that I'm whipping it up in a really shallow soup bowl isn't helping either as

A) The lather gets cool very quickly
B) I end up spilling it outside of the bowl
C) Spilling it outside of the bowl makes me timid with how well I work the lather as I try not to make a huge mess.

It would also be of interest to note that some of the irritation I'm feeling probably comes from the fact that I will make a pass, clearing away the lather, and then, as I am used to a cartridge razor with one of those little slick strips that deposit goo on your face, I'll go over the area again instinctively. The problem is you can't get away with that with a DE as the lather is the slick strip and once you've gone over the area it's all gone.

Speaking of which that is a positive note: My blade angle in most places seems good. Not too shallow or otherwise as it shaves well, isn't irritating, and it clears away the lather cleanly.
I do have one recurring trouble area. I find it hard to get a decent shave directly below the front of my chin (down the neck so to speak) and on the sides of my neck. I think to get that part of my shave truly smooth I’ll need to go ATG, which as noted in my first shave entry, I will be laying off of for a while.

So you lather gurus out there, let’s talk about lather!

You might need a different bowl. My favorite bowl is a 3" diameter by 1" tall. That's not too small, not too big, nothing fly out. I got it at a kitchenware store. Your perfect bowl could be bigger, higher, smaller, lower...

If your lather ressemble to a yogurt consistency then you got it spot on. If not, you might need to work on it a bit more. That's all right.

The best source of information is the tutorials: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Lathers

The lather has the thickness of, but isn't as slick as yogurt. This leeds me to believe that it's a bit dry then.

Top Bottom