What's new

Nivea A/S balms showdown : Extra Soothing vs Mild vs Cooling

Which one are you using, which one is your favorite ? important : mention your skin type.

I have dry skin and I like Extra-Soothing
I also have Mild ; less moisturizing (due to the alcohol content?) ; but I love the smell

I have sensitive skin and use the extra soothing.

It works great and doesn't have much of a scent, but the little scent that it does have is not my wife's favorite. I'm thinking about having her smell the Proraso stuff next time we make it to Target and see if that smell works for her. Otherwise, I'll have to find something unscented.

I have only tried the extra soothing, and I think it works pretty well. I prefer the proraso ASB, though, as the Nivea sometimes feels a little "heavy" on my face (and I prefer the smell of the proraso ASB).

I have only tried the extra soothing, and I think it works pretty well. I prefer the proraso ASB, though, as the Nivea sometimes feels a little "heavy" on my face (and I prefer the smell of the proraso ASB).
+1 I use both the Nivea "Normal to Dry Skin" ASB and Proraso ASB. The Nivea feels more cooling than the Proraso but it is "heavier" on my skin, feels like something powdery got left behind as it dries down no matter how thinly I apply it. The Proraso completely fades away like it should. I like both scents. The Nivea scent is a little stronger on initial application. (YMMV)

You can't beat the price on the Nivea, half of what the Proraso costs.

I use the Proraso right after shaving. I keep the Nivea in my office drawer for the dry winter months when I feel like I need a little extra later in the day.

I have oily skin and have both the *old* formula of the Mild and also the new mentholated cooling balm. After starting the whole "old-school" thing, I discovered my bottle of the old stuff stashed in a drawer and am currently hoarding it as it's that good to me. I now know what all you Coates/Dr. Harris AS milk, Taylor's rose fanatics are going through.

As for the cooling version...the first time I used it, I thought I'd found El Dorado, but...it's slowly falling out of favor with me. It's still good and I still use it, but I probably won't be buying it again.

I do want to try the extra soothing/sensitive skin version and will do so once the cooling is gone.

I like the cooling-- has a slight sting that makes me know it is there. The Nivea ASBs are thicker in general, and I like that-- it is very soothing when you have a little razor burn.

You cannot beat the price of the Nivea stuff-- but if price is less of an issue, the Nancy Boy ASB signature scent is in the same family as the Nivea, but the smell is just over-the-top superior to the Nivea.

On the even pricier side, I am thinking about getting Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet ASB. I have the EDT and it is just amazing, and I have heard good things about their ASBs. You gotta want it bad though-- they are indeed pricey.

Vin

+1 I use both the Nivea "Normal to Dry Skin" ASB and Proraso ASB. The Nivea feels more cooling than the Proraso but it is "heavier" on my skin, feels like something powdery got left behind as it dries down no matter how thinly I apply it. The Proraso completely fades away like it should. I like both scents. The Nivea scent is a little stronger on initial application. (YMMV)

You can't beat the price on the Nivea, half of what the Proraso costs.

I use the Proraso right after shaving. I keep the Nivea in my office drawer for the dry winter months when I feel like I need a little extra later in the day.

U find the Nivea "normal to dry" moisturizing? (despite the alcohol)

U find the Nivea "normal to dry" moisturizing? (despite the alcohol)
Sure, It's not as moisturizing as the alcohol free Proraso but I feel like I am getting some moisturizing and it is helpful on days where I got a little agressive and end up with some burn that lasts into the day.

I have the extra soothing for my dry, sandpaper like skin. I never got much of a cooling effect out of it but it did a good job of soothing the razor burn on my neck.

Mild to normal skin.

I prefer, in this order:
-Nivea ASB for extra sensitive skin,
-Proraso ASB
-Nivea ASB for regular skin

dwight

Maybe I'll add some moisturizing oil to the Replenishing ; which moisturizing oil has a virtually no scent?

Normal to oily skin: I prefer an alchohol splash like Aqua Velva...but go for the Extra Soothing if I had a rough shave. I like the smell of Poraso better, but find it "heavier" on my skin, it appears mor oily at the end of the day. I'll use it on those cold, windy face drying days.

Top Bottom