What's new

Still getting cuts.

Pay very close attention to your angle going ATG, I had the same problem and experimented with angle until I got it right. Now there isn't as much resistance when I go ATG. Trying a Gillette Tech may not hurt either while experimenting.

Also, if you're like me and have a beard that just won't quit, you may need an extra WTG or XTG pass before you've reduced it enough to go ATG. This helped me tremendously. And of course remember the mantra and the no pressure and all that good stuff. Good luck!

try a hot hot towel before you shave that will soften up your beard, sounds like your in a hurry take your time when you shave remember wet shaving is to injoy our shaves hope this helps :thumbup1:

Are you cutting yourself as in slices in the skin, as in weepers or as in just slicing off the tops of old cuts/irritated skin?

Anyways - more prep, better prep, more technique, better technique. No ATG.

And please don't complain that you don't get a good shave without ATG. You're not getting a good shave WITH ATG, are you, right? Live with a slightly less close shave in exchange for no blood, add ATG back later once you've fixed whatever the problem is.

After reading your OP again I was thinking about when I first started shaving with a DE and I'd cut myself all the time. I eventually would turn sideways or whatever way I needed to turn myself and watch the razor head against my skin to make sure the safety bar and head were in the right position on my face. It seemed weird at the time but it worked really well.

1. Are you absolutely sure that you aren't drawing the blade sideways at all? By that I mean pulling it just a bit laterally, along the length of the edge, possibly very briefly and all at once? It's easy to do that without noticing until you form different habits.

2. Where on your face are you getting the cuts? Is it on flat planes such as the sides, or on convex curved places like your chin, or concave places such as the neck to chin junction? I think knowing that would help analyze what's happening.

3. Are they "weepers", little spots where the blade might cut through a bump, or are they distinct slices? Too much pressure could cause either, but in the latter case pressure might be combined with (a) the lateral motion I mentioned, or (b) raising a fold of skin.

4. As mentioned by others, I'd forgo the ATG for now. I have a very coarse beard, but found that WTG + XTG is plenty enough for the sides and most places around the chin...ATG only needed in a few places on neck where hair grows at a very low angle, plus a few difficult curves on the chin. This *provided* that I'm using a very sharp blade like a Feather. Otherwise, not so.

5. It's been mentioned, but lather and all the rest play a role.

Good luck! Hang in there, you've got friends here to help.

- Bill

Last edited:
Top Bottom