What's new

Why Greaseless Compound?

I've been searching locally for greaseless compounds to start restoring some straight razors. I haven't been able to locate any locally, but I was asked why I needed a greaseless compound as opposed to a grease coumpound and I couldn't answer that. Can anyone help answer?

Hi Henry,

I looked at your kit and what a kit! It makes me wish I hadn't retired, but who knows maybe I'll hit the Lottery!

I've used both compounds for some years. The greaseless compounds make it easier to see the immediate results of what you are doing; like when hand sanding the object. They also use silicon carbide and aluminum oxide which are better suited to cleaning and polishing hardened steel. The grit size is also quite uniform. Grease/tallow compounds will afford, in my opinion, a smoother final polish. They also leave a residue on the blade which may obscure the immediate results of your work. They often have only natural abrasives. Among other crafts, I have been a jeweler and have my own biases. Perhaps working with softer metals has formed my opinions. Most greaseless compounds will eat copper, brass, and silver! Razor steel is hard!
~Richard

Last edited:
Top Bottom