Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel tech practical or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Travel tech practical or not?

Evening Gents,

I just recently purchased a new-in-the-box (Tortoise Shell Case) Tech Travel Razor. It should be here either Friday or Saturday, and now that I own one I would like to find out if it is a practical razor to actually use, or should I just keep it as a collector item. Any and all opinions are much appreciated!

Regards,
    D/E Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

personally, i find travel techs to be annoying. the handle is so small. yes, you can shave with it and yes, it's travel sized...but yech.

i much much prefer a vintage tuckaway or milady. they're both beautiful travel razors that you can actually enjoy as razors. ditto with the feather portable, although it's a mean little sucker.

i guess i'd say...there are better choices. a ball-end tech breaks down into 3 small pieces. whatever space it takes not to use a travel tech is space well-spent
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" John Lennon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good idea, bad in practice. The handle is just to small but it will work in a pinch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

As in all things that matter, it depends. If you're used to holding your razor by the end of the handle, then the shorter travel tech will frustrate you terribly. If you are used to holding the razor up near the head, the travel tech poses no real disadvantage, and is in fact a fine shaver.

I love that my shave kit is now smaller than even a disposable, yet I get superior shaves every time. Paired with a soap stick and alum block, and I could fit my entire kit into a shoe with room to spare.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Forget the tiny handle. Just thread a nut onto the cap and shave with the head.
    ˙ʇsod ʎɯ sı ǝuıן sıɥʇ ʍoןǝq buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amishmotorboat View Post
    Forget the tiny handle. Just thread a nut onto the cap and shave with the head.
    Now that's a travel razor.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Images

The nice thing about those Travel Techs is that so many are almost like new.

Paired up with a nice Tech handle that had a beat-up head, they make great little restoration projects.
    "He must be a king. He hasn't got Williams all over 'im!" - cb91710
    I spend my knights at the Veg Table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Too small for me.

I just can't get used to it.
    Radom told me to put something short...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I have found that the handle is the decider for me. The aluminum one that is very light is irksome to me. The steel one is more my speed.
    Jim O'Reily

I think there are four items in this world that combined can solve any problem. They are: A pair of pliers, Duct Tape, paperclip/wire, and Barbicide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by drandall View Post
    i guess i'd say...there are better choices. a ball-end tech breaks down into 3 small pieces. whatever space it takes not to use a travel tech is space well-spent
    +1

A standard Tech will pack nicely into an empty Altoids tin, with some room to spare for packaging foam. How much more portable do you need the razor to be?

I agree with the others the Travel Tech was a pretty poorly executed idea, which is probably why you see so many in mint nearly unused condition.
    ~~JOHN~~*Founding member of ALPHA Team*

I never really saw the point. A razor is pretty small in any case. Making it a little smaller isn't much of a gain. And yeah, there are a lot of like new ones out there. There is a reason for that! They are a pain to use. They are cute though.
    "Would you mind not shooting at the thermonuclear weapons? "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the input fellas..........I will try a shave or 2 with the new midget, but more than likely it will become a collectible from the consensus here.

Thanks!

D/E
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

from the way i find i hold my fat handle tech i'd probably find the travel tech i bought by accident (wasn't paying enough attention to the size of the handle... it was only $4 after shipping though) to be just fine
    I shave with a chainsaw.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topgumby View Post
    That probably tells us that even the original owner didn't like to use it.

I take my 34G or MerGress with me for travel. The space and weight that are saved from those travel razors isn't worth it considering how hard they are to shave with.
    I'm dpm802, and I Approved This Message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought one when I went to college and may have used it once. That is one razor I do remember well after many years - it was terrible. Traveling with my adjustable didn't exert me all that much anyway.
    A Minimalist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A Travel Tech is actually my most used razor. Give it a whirl!
    Gem 1912,1965 Tech, 1978 Slim, getting used to a 1930s Kahnweiler straight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topgumby View Post

Paired up with a nice Tech handle that had a beat-up head, they make great little restoration projects.
    That was why I got one...plus it was too cute.
    The head on the Tech I'd had for decades is a mutant freak that warps the blade edges into wavy gravy. I wanted to see what a functional Tech would be like.

Now the main slam against these things is the tiny handle, and I agree. And for some, the weight savings of travel razors in general doesn't matter, but I'm stuck in a backpacking mindset and try to minimize volume and weight wherever reasonable.

The Merkur open comb travel razor has a very workable two-piece handle that isn't objectionably small. Here it is, packed into a 35mm film canister (upper right).

If I took out the pack of blades and substituted a piece of cardboard, there'd be room for the travel Tech head too! More choices!

- Bill
    Last edited by woodfluter; 09-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I make a 2 piece Aluminum travel handle, when it's assembled it's impossible to see the seem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now that's slick, Bob.
    Radom told me to put something short...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by cooncatbob View Post
    I make a 2 piece Aluminum travel handle, when it's assembled it's impossible to see the seem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast