What's new

Merkur Progress assembly problem!

Somehow when opening my shaving bag this morning, I found the razor disassembled, not sure if any of my kids were playing with it :mad3: or it came off on its own...The shaft was pulled out of the body and I can't find a way to get it to close so it would connect to the top part...

Just above the knob there is a expandeable ring, the one with the arrow.
You have to compress this ring so it goes into the handle, you might have to wiggle the part with the knob a little to get it in, because the thin end is going into a slot inside the handle.

That's the problem, the thin end won't go into the slot, I tried to force it gently but no go, it's as if the damn thing won't go in!

If memory serves you need something (pliers) to compress that nut while pushing it back into the handle. You could also just take it off. Cooncatbob would probably know more about it than I though.

I'm afraid to use a plier so I don't damage it. I used the rubber handle of a wrench and I tried to tap it in but it won't go in.

I'm afraid to use a plier so I don't damage it. I used the rubber handle of a wrench and I tried to tap it in but it won't go in.

That ring needs to be compressed. It pops into a machined groove inside the handle. But it's bigger than the hole in the handle if it's uncompressed and it will never go in. You need to squeeze it down with needlenosed pliers or something. Don't crush it, just compress it.

That ring needs to be compressed. It pops into a machined groove inside the handle. But it's bigger than the hole in the handle if it's uncompressed and it will never go in. You need to squeeze it down with needlenosed pliers or something. Don't crush it, just compress it.

I'll try that. Thanks!

+1

My Mergress XL did the sane thing.. I was able to compress the expansion ring with my fingers.. once it is in the handle, the ring expands and locks the TTO back in place.

It won't go in if you just push it.

+1

My Mergress XL did the sane thing.. I was able to compress the expansion ring with my fingers.. once it is in the handle, the ring expands and locks the TTO back in place.

It won't go in if you just push it.

I used to have a Barberpole that would do the same thing. You should be able to compress it with your fingers. It might take a bit of effort, but shouldn't necessarily require pliers.

I had no idea it was a ring, it's not loose, I tried to squeeze it and and I was able to get the shaft back inside finally...How the heck did it come out in the first place! I have no idea. Anyway, thanks for all your help.

This thing is awkwardly engineered, it's a good razor but I honestly think that butterfly razors are much better than this contraption!

I know that some guys actually just omit those nuts when they put the aftermakter knobs on. Maybe if your kit got dropped really hard it bounced apart but as you saw they're pretty snug. Glad you got her back together.

Somehow when opening my shaving bag this morning, I found the razor disassembled, not sure if any of my kids were playing with it :mad3: or it came off on its own...The shaft was pulled out of the body and I can't find a way to get it to close so it would connect to the top part...
There is a split ring that you need to slide away from the direction the adjustment knob before you are able to compress it, try applying a little oil, it can easily be done with the fingers no need for tools.

Top Bottom