What's new

Light weight vs heavy weight

Sorry if this has been covered before but I was wondering what everyone thought of heave razors vs light weight ones. I ask because I had started with a Parker 22R which is a fairly heavy razor, very top heavy. Recently I found a Gillette Super Speed with black handle. I was amazed at how short the handle was and how light weight the razor was. Feather light. I found I was able to get a little better shave with the SS which got me to thinking about the quality of the shave as a function of the weight of the razor.

This is probably one of the most "YMMV" things in the shaving world. I happen to prefer lighter weight safety razors and heavier straight razors. Go figure!

With straights it might be that the heavier ones simply have stiffer blades and that is what I like.

I prefer the feel of heavy razors and I use both my HD Rocket and Diplomat regularly. However, my best shaving razors are a '40s Superspeed and a bar handle New which are both considerably lighter. I use the SS more than any of my razors and the Rocket, New and Diplomat all get about equal use. The rest of my razors make it into my rotation much less often.

It's really a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. If a razor is well designed otherwise, you can learn to control it regardless of the weight.

I like the heavy razors with long handles.
My Futur is always in the rotation.
However, the Brit. Aristocrat Jr. is a really nice razor and it's light.
so, I guess it can swing either way.
But I think I'll stick with heavy.

I like heavier razors except when I'm using a light one. Seriously I like my Futur & Progress with bull mastiff handle.

It's really a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. If a razor is well designed otherwise, you can learn to control it regardless of the weight.
I couldnt agree more. Every razor is a bit different. Thats what makes a collection so nice. I dont like changing razors too fast. I like using one razor for a week and then I will switch to a different razor. Its an interesting thing, this razor business.

I tend to like the heavier raisers better, but i also like bigger handles which is probly why i like the heavy ones. i tried a super speed once and found the handle way to skiny.

For me it's not so much a question of length as it is girth, I don't like skinny handles.
This handle made from Aluminum is 4 1/8th and almost 1/2 inch in diameter but it weighs only 30 grams, if it was Nickel Plated Brass it would weigh around 90 grams.
proxy.php

For me it is more about balance than weight. I like my razors to be head-heavy so most of the really heavy razors are ruled out because their weight is mostly in the handles. I also don't like very short razors so my choice is somewhat limited.

I like both, light gives you more control and feels a bit safer IMO

But I like the weight of my 39c it seems perfect for letting the razor do all the work, and it takes the guesswork out of how much pressure you need to use with a lightweight razor.

The only thing I don't like about the weight of the 39c is when you go ATG, as obviously a weighty razor only helps when going downwards due to gravity :001_rolle so for ATG I'd prefer a lighter razor as it's a bit less effort to hold.

Top Bottom