What's new

Muhle or Edwin jagger

Gentlemen, a question for those that have or have tried both of the following
Edwin Jagger DE89L, Muhle R89.

Of the two which is the favoured piece and why? Other than approximately $21 price difference.

They appear to be almost identical other than handle finish.

Thank you for your insight.

RP.

I haven't tried both ... but I have the EJ de89L and I love it.

They are identical in head design, but after doing research before buying it, it seems more people prefer the EJ model.

The EJ handle is heavier than the Muhle and seems to be more balanced whereas the Muhle is more head heavy...

EJ for the weight, but Muhle for the knurling. For me, the advantage falls slightly to the Muhle. The handle is hollow... and I've been brainstorming for ways to fill it with something heavy. That would give it a clear advantage over the EJ.

I have the Muhle and bought it for the not-so-smooth handle.

I also have a EJ DE 86 and, when I get the handle wet with soapy water, the razor begins to turn in my hand,

The Muhle does not.

Split descision .....:crazy:

As far as adding weight to a handle, I use tungsten powder and plugged the tube/handle with soft solid nylon plugs to numerous Instruments/devices to alter weight/balance. I use this technique in my work on a daily basis.

Another question, how would one compare the DE89L or R89 to a Futur set on 2.5-3 ?

Thanks for the insight

S.

Last edited:
I have both the DE89L and the R89, and honestly don't see enough difference in the handles to warrant a price difference. I did pick up a Bull Mastiff handle from cooncatbob, though, and this handle on these razor heads (or I should say this razor head, since they are the same) makes a very nicely weighted razor that I prefer over the stock handles. The original handles surprised me a little, in that the knurled Muhle handle isn't as "grippy" as it looks like it would be, and the lined EJ handle isn't as slippery as it looks like it might be. I think between the two, it comes down to aesthetic preference more than anything.

I have the EJ DE86 (black handle version), and I don't see myself wanting to switch up anytime soon. Since both the Muhle and EJ have the same head, I think it's more a matter of which handle looks better to the individual, than actual performance differences.

I have the EJ DE-89L and it stopped my RAD cold. I like the extra weight in the handle, which the Muhle does not have.

I don't have the Muhle R89 but I remember a member who recently purchased one saying that in his opinion the handle felt like it was made out of plastic and painted to look like metal. I know that it's just one person's opinion, but I think when it's time I'll go with EJ.

I seem to be in the minority with a black-handled R106. The handle feels good - it does feel a little plasticky, but not "cheap", if that makes any sense. It doesn't slip as much as it looks like it would.

It also feels perfectly balanced to me. If it is head-heavy, I can't tell. It gives fantastic shaves. I also like the design of the Muhle handle better than the Jagger. More elegant, and though I don't have a Jagger, the Muhle is the best finished razor I've owned.

I have the Muhle and will never get rid of this razor, to me it is about perfect. I love the weight, the grip, and the overall feel. It's also beautiful taboot.

J.

I have held both and my vote is for the Mühle because to me it is better balanced. I prefer the lighter handle, which does not look or feel in the least like painted plastic btw.

The EJ handle is not that much heavier. If you like your handles heavy you can also buy just the head from EJ and mount a handle of your own choice.

I have the EJ DE86 (black handle version), and I don't see myself wanting to switch up anytime soon. Since both the Muhle and EJ have the same head, I think it's more a matter of which handle looks better to the individual, than actual performance differences.

I have the Muhle R89 and SWMBO has a EJ DE86 and I have to say I prefer the R89. It has a better balance IMHO.

I don't have the Muhle R89 but I remember a member who recently purchased one saying that in his opinion the handle felt like it was made out of plastic and painted to look like metal. I know that it's just one person's opinion, but I think when it's time I'll go with EJ.

I don't agree with that opinion at all. I've also seen it described as feeling like a coke can, but I really like the handle. I actually find that lighter handles generally make for a more manoeuvrable razor.

In any event, the Muehle is exceptional quality. If you don't like light handles then perhaps the EJ might be a better choice but although the handle is lightweight, there is nothing lightweight about its construction.

Interesting..... Both heads are the same and perform brilliantly. The muhle handle is machined to provide great grip IMO. In all honesty, in terms of differentiation, it is just down to aesthetics.

I loved my Muhle and would probably never sell it...but I have to give the edge to the EJ due to the weight.

Both are beatiful and well made..there are no flaws in these razors.

I own both the EJ DE89L and the Muhle R89 and have selected these two razors as my primary DE razors, leaving all the other adjustable, TTO, 2-piece, and 3-piece DE’s behind to be sold.

The EJ handle is slightly heavier than the Muhle handle, so the overall ‘heft’ has a better feel compared to the Muhle. With that said, the lighter handle of the Muhle does have a minor difference in the head to handle ratio, so the Muhle 89 head has a little more gravity weight during the strokes and I feel provides a smoother, closer shave with less effort.

I like the feel of the knurled handle on the Muhle versus the lines of the EJ. Regardless, I have found that the 89 head on either the EJ or the Muhle has provided me with the most consistent comfortable shave compared to any of the Super Speeds, Fatboy’s, Slims, Merkur 2 and 3 pieces and Progress, and Gillette Tech or Ranger I have tried.

In short, IMHO you can’t go wrong with either.

Top Bottom