What's new

Am I the only one getting 7 shaves out of a blade?

I've had the opportunity to try several blades now, and with a lot of them I can get 7 shaves (3 passes average). I could probably go longer, but it's not worth trying, and it's a lot easier to remember to change the blade out on the same day of the week. I can understand that some guys have a denser, harder beard, but it looks to me that near everyone gets only 3 shaves or so out of even the best blades.

Astra, Shark, Feather, Iridium...one week, no problem. It's only the likes of Derby, Dorco, Treet, 7 o'clock green that I can only get a few good shaves (or less than one in the case of Dorco).

I think you're doing great with 7 shaves.
I usually go 12 shaves with one pass or 6 with 2 passes.

I usually throw mine out after four shaves. I don't have a thick beard, but the whiskers are very tough. A typical shave for me is three passes plus essentially 2+ more passes under my chin and neck for touch up. I dragged one over to five shaves a couple of days ago and it tugged like crazy.

You are a lucky guy when you can get a good shave out of a Derby I guess but no, I never got 7 shaves out of any DE-blade or other shaving system. Including electric...:lol:

Good for you though!

I normally get a week out of most blades. But I usually only do a one pass with touch ups.

I normally get between 3 and 5 shaves from most blades. I guess if you stock up on a few thousand blades, you can really survive the shavepocalypse! And maybe even have a few extra blades to share with your friends!:biggrin1:

I normally get a week out of most blades. But I usually only do a one pass with touch ups.

This is pretty much me as well. I usually go a day or two between shaves, but it averages out to about 7 shaves a blade.

3 passes a day with considerable blade buffing on my tough, wiry beard equals one good shave per blade. I'm not ashamed to admit it. Good thing DE blades are cheap!

That's pretty much what I get out of a Feather... I can stretch it but for cost of DE blades it just ain't worth it.

This is exactly how I see it. The moment I see any real degradation in the shave, I toss the blade. This is usually after 3 or 4 shaves. I suppose I could push it further to 7 shaves, but it's just not worth it.

Sounds like you must have very soft whiskers. For me a blade is only good for 2-3 shaves. Some are I can stretch to 4 before they tag too much, others only last 1.

I don't expect 7 days of shaving out of a blade. Usually, most decent blades can me last 5 days. I toss a blade out after 3 shave to avoid pushing it as the cost is quite low.

I change blades once a week. That's six single-pass shaves with a little touch-up. My Parker 91R (pretty aggressive) whacks things down well enough for me with a single pass. I don't shave the chin or upper lip, so that's less surface area. I also think prep is important for blade longevity.

I'm sure I could go longer, but once a week is easy to keep track of and not that expensive. Plus any longer and it would take too long to get to the next blade in the sample pack.:001_smile

I use four passes and usually get four shaves per blade - except for Crystals and Feathers which only give me two or three shaves.

Every once in a while I am tempted to push it - but the thought of neck irritation brings my to my senses. :w00t:

I consistently get 3 shaves of 3 passes per blade except for Feathers which only give me 2 good shaves.
I've gotten 4 shaves out of Kais, Astras and Iridiums, but not consistently, so I toss those after 3 also.

I get 3 guaranteed good shaves from most blades, shave 4 has an even chance of being good, shaves 5 and on progressively less. With those odds I just toss the blade after the third shave whether it needs it or not.

Now, with injectors, I'm hitting 5 and 6 shaves easily, not sure exactly how far I could push it but it just not worth the risk of getting a subpar shave.

Top Bottom