What's new

Witch Hazel . . . an acquired smell

So I bought a bottle of generic drug store witch hazel a few months back . . . I quickly noticed that is stank, but it also did good things to my skin. After a while, it became a part of my ritual, and I didn't notice the smell so much. Well, two days ago, I passed some sort of shavegeek milestone. I slapped the witch hazel on my cheeks and thought, "mmm . . . smells like a clean shave."

I actually threw out a perfectly good bottle of witch hazel because I thought it had gone bad. :laugh: That was before I discovered B&B.com, of course.

I'm not at the point that it smells good yet. I sometimes cut it 50/50 with an AS. Can't even smell it after that.

THAYERS Alcohol-Free Cucumber Witch Hazel with Organic Aloe Vera, like magic in a bottle for me. I even put it on a cut on my hand the other day!!!

I always thought it had a nice earthy smell. I liked it right from the get go. Then someone on here said it smelled like bacon. It hasn't quite smelled right to me since then.

So I bought a bottle of generic drug store witch hazel a few months back . . . I quickly noticed that is stank, but it also did good things to my skin. After a while, it became a part of my ritual, and I didn't notice the smell so much. Well, two days ago, I passed some sort of shavegeek milestone. I slapped the witch hazel on my cheeks and thought, "mmm . . . smells like a clean shave."

+1 on that! My shaves are just not quite right without it.

It is like beer an aquired taste to the nose for sure. I love it after holding my nose for almost a month. :thumbup:

I have Thayers Rose Petal and Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel and love the smell of both. I bought plain, old, boring pharmacy witch hazel and liked the way it worked but wasn't thrilled by the smell.

Although my preferred 'hazel is 'Thayers Medicated Superhazel', I have gained an appreciation for the original stuff. I initially could not handle the scent of original witch hazel. I am not sure what happened, but one day I noticed it wan't really all that bad. I won't go as far as to say it smells 'good'. I guess it is an acquired scent. Nothing works better after a shave.

Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Toner smells a lot nicer to me than the cheaper drug store brands.

I liked the smell form day one. I find it mild and clean, but an organic clean smell. I splash it on after my Alum, but before my AS.

you get used to it.. I find the Dickinson's perfectly fine. Not paying $10 for scented stuff when I'm going to use an aftershave anyway...

I've never had a problem with the scent of witch hazel because it is so short lived; lasting only seconds.
+1 for Dickinson's being very inexpensive and efficient.

Its never bothered me i sorta like the smell. Dickinson's seem to have the stronger smelling of the ones that i have tried. I can only describe as a slightly woody earthy smell. Either way it doesnt bother me the benefits outweigh the negative here even though the smell is gone after a few minutes.

I've never been bothered by it. I use Dickinson's, but I bought some lime EO. Now my witch hazel smells like Castle Forbes lime cream.

I've never had a problem with the scent of witch hazel because it is so short lived; lasting only seconds.

Me too. As sensitive to perfumed shaving products as I am ( I generally hate scented crap), witch hazel I find unobjectionable because it doesn't last but a very short while. And while it is kind of a funky smell, it's never been as offensive as that stuff the dork at the office passes around with every handshake.

Top Bottom