What's new

Yet Another Noob!

Hello all and thanks to everyone posting here for the massive amount of information available. I have spent hours researching this site and have gained information I could find nowhere else...

Having recently reverted to wetshaving after a LONG hiatus, I know I made the right decision. I recently purchased a 1960 Super Speed in immaculate condition on eBay for the princely sum of $10. Also got the Omega soap (good) along with the Omega boar's hair brush (not so hot) and 10 Shark blades with 10 Derbys on the way. Of course I'm still in the learning curve regarding building lather but things are improving. Looking at the price of the Fusion cartridges I finally realized there had to be a better way and I have found it. Thanks again to everyone and hopefully I can contribute as my experience progresses.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

You might need different brand than what you got to have a fair idea on the blades. But it's a start. I usually recommend 4 different brands.

For your lather, the tutorials are always helpful. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Lathers

What would be the problem with your lather?

Welcome! Luc's right, trying out a broader variety of blades will get you to the right one sooner. It's trite to say, but you know it when you feel it. It will just feel right. The Derby's seem pretty uneven these days, but the Sharks are pretty reliable. If you have any questions, post 'em, because you'll find the answers here.

Thanks for the welcome, Luc! Being a beginner regarding the blades, I have only bought 10 of the two kinds mentioned to see what works for me. They're so cheap I can experiment a little. Next on my list to try are the Israeli Personnas when I can find a small amount. I hate to buy 100 blades at this stage as I'm sure you understand.

My lathering technique is improving thanks to determining how wet the brush should be. Many times I had the lather either too dry or runny. Now I'm getting the hang of it a bit and can hit the right combination of soap and water about 8 times out of 10. I'm thinking a better quality brush would make a big difference too. I've watched the videos on YouTube and try as I may, I just can't build lather like that guy (can't remember his name) but like he said, it's more of an art than a science. And thanks for the links! :biggrin1:

Luc

Staff member
Thanks for the welcome, Luc! Being a beginner regarding the blades, I have only bought 10 of the two kinds mentioned to see what works for me. They're so cheap I can experiment a little. Next on my list to try are the Israeli Personnas when I can find a small amount. I hate to buy 100 blades at this stage as I'm sure you understand.

My lathering technique is improving thanks to determining how wet the brush should be. Many times I had the lather either too dry or runny. Now I'm getting the hang of it a bit and can hit the right combination of soap and water about 8 times out of 10. I'm thinking a better quality brush would make a big difference too. I've watched the videos on YouTube and try as I may, I just can't build lather like that guy (can't remember his name) but like he said, it's more of an art than a science. And thanks for the links! :biggrin1:

You're on the right track for the blades. Trying them in small quantity is the best way until you find a blade that feels "hey, this is right". Personna are good, I would also recommend, Astra Superior Platinum, Feathers and maybe Crystal. Some places like Westcoast Shaving or Bullgoose will sell them in a small quantity or have a sample pack sized already available.

For your lather, keep in mind it's easier to fix a dry lather than a wet lather. I usually make dry lather and then wet the tip of the bristles half way and it will be enough to have a nice lather.

Welcome to B&B!

In years past, I used Gillette Blue blades. I vaguely remember not trusting them for the second shave, as they would go bad in the razor. My only recent experience is with drugstore in-store blades (Wilkerson made by ASR), and Red Personnas. They both worked well for me. I am using them with a 1946 Aristocrat, and sometimes a SS Red Tip.

I have not yet graduated to 'good' shave soaps. Still using VDH Deluxe. I am about out, so it is time for something different.

Lather does take practice. I just recently started using a larger bowl with a ribbed pattern in it. It really helps whip up some lather.

The Derby's seem pretty uneven these days, but the Sharks are pretty reliable. If you have any questions, post 'em, because you'll find the answers here.

I have found the Shark to be spotty too. One, I can get 4 shaves from and another only one. Are the Israeli Personnas more consistent?

Welcome to B&B!

In years past, I used Gillette Blue blades. I vaguely remember not trusting them for the second shave, as they would go bad in the razor. My only recent experience is with drugstore in-store blades (Wilkerson made by ASR), and Red Personnas. They both worked well for me. I am using them with a 1946 Aristocrat, and sometimes a SS Red Tip.

I have not yet graduated to 'good' shave soaps. Still using VDH Deluxe. I am about out, so it is time for something different.

Lather does take practice. I just recently started using a larger bowl with a ribbed pattern in it. It really helps whip up some lather.

I also have the VDH Deluxe and to tell the truth, I'm not wild about it even with my limited experience. The Omega eucalyptus works much better for me and I really enjoy the smell of it. Of course, YMMV...

For your lather, keep in mind it's easier to fix a dry lather than a wet lather. I usually make dry lather and then wet the tip of the bristles half way and it will be enough to have a nice lather.

Thanks again and I'll definitely give that a try. I have found with the VDH Deluxe, it seems to be rather light on lather and almost evaporates on my face. I'll chalk that up to being a noob.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks again and I'll definitely give that a try. I have found with the VDH Deluxe, it seems to be rather light on lather and almost evaporates on my face. I'll chalk that up to being a noob.

Sorry, just to be sure that I didn't mislead you... When I say half way, I mean half way while building the lather. I just dip the tip of the bristles in water, maybe 1/8"

Welcome to B&B. WCS and other vendors that you can find on the vendors forum can supply you with a small number of blades or a sampler pack.

Sorry, just to be sure that I didn't mislead you... When I say half way, I mean half way while building the lather. I just dip the tip of the bristles in water, maybe 1/8"

No problem and I understand what you meant. I should have read the tutorial you linked to before my first shave because I now see what I'm doing wrong. I'm not gathering nearly enough soap on the brush before beginning lathering. I have viewed the mantic video regarding building lather and it looked to me like he has far less soap on the brush but of course I could be wrong. Thanks again!:thumbup:

Welcome to B&B! I am using the Personna's currently and don't have any problems with them, that said blade selection is about the largest variation in YMMV. I also agree with the sample pack from WCS or Bullgoose, can't go wrong.

Top Bottom