What's new

new resto

So im doing my first restoration and ill try to post pics as I go along. Its my great grandfathers Henkles which had some old battered scales and a lot of patina and rust. The good news is the edge was in good shape, and still quite sharp.
Ive ordered some scale materials and right now im getting the rust and patina off. This has been a pain so far, so any advise would be very welcome. The only power tool available to me is a dremel and I guess that will come in handy to polish later on. Ive gotten a lot of info from this board and I thank everyone who has posted info, or I never would have even tried this. Any info on sanding and polishing would be a huge help because thats whats making me nervous right now. Ill put pics up later mid-sanding process (sorry no before pics).
Thanks again for all the info already on this board!

Legion

Staff member
Dremels are great and you can use them for a lot of things but my advice is keep it away from the blade. My cut down travel razor in a nearby thread had to become a cut down razor because of an accident with a Dremel. It is way too easy to slip and destroy a blade with those things.

By all means go nuts with it when you are making your scales, but limit your blade polishing to manual work with sand paper, if you want to be safe.

thanks for the info guys. Would you recommend a rubbing compound like the turtle wax one for final polishing?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
thanks for the info guys. Would you recommend a rubbing compound like the turtle wax one for final polishing?

I haven't used turtle wax but I did use Brasso with some kind of success. There's a product down under named 'Metal Magic', made of natural ingredients, more abrasive than Brasso, works better IMO...

I also use a dremel to restore razors but one small slip and before you can blink there goes a big chunk in the blade gone. The 2 things i would reccomend are a jig with magnets and sanding drums for the dremel. there is a toutorial for the drums http://lordsofquake.net/~ToxIk/dst/dst2.html They have helped me alot have them from 600 grit to 2000 grit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip qballizhere, the tutorial is nice!
cant find metal magic over here Luc, so i guess ill try turtle wax compound.
pics after sanding this weekend.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the tip qballizhere, the tutorial is nice!
cant find metal magic over here Luc, so i guess ill try turtle wax compound.
pics after sanding this weekend.

I would be surprised that someone could find the Metal Magic outside Australia...

Ok here are the pictures during sanding. Im probably getting to 800 grit at this point still getting some patina and rust off. Pics taken with my phone, sorry about the quality.

Ok, so I got a little ahead of myself and after polishing realized the pitting was worse than I thought. Ive completely restarted sanding and now this is where im at with the 2000 grit after starting with 800. Will polish and get started on scales when they come in.

Im not getting much time lately to do this due to work, but here are the scales almost done. Nerdman offered to polish her up for me and these pictures do it no justice (thanks again Ernie, it looks awesome!) check out his thread for a better pic; second page no scales. The wedge has been the pain so far, I might have biffed it. So now i have to choose CA or epoxy....

Top Bottom