What's new

Taking good pictures of razors

I'm having a tough time taking good pictures of razors that I post on the BST.
Using a flash gives me a bright reflection that blurs out part of the photo. Without a flash I get pictures that are too dark to show detail. I have tried using a small lamp, but still had a tough time.

Normally I'm capable of taking good pictures, but getting detailed pics of razors has been very tough for me.

I see many pictures on this site that are beautiful with excellent detail and nice lighting. I'm using a nice digital camera with the macro setting. I have tried adjusting the white balance, which works at times.

What's the secret?

I see many pictures on this site that are beautiful with excellent detail and nice lighting. I'm using a nice digital camera with the macro setting. I have tried adjusting the white balance, which works at times.

What's the secret?

I'm not exactly sure what level of detail you're trying to convey, but the macro setting is probably overkill. Macro shots also generally need a lot of light, which is probably why the flash keeps going off. I'd try moving to another setting, potentially the 'auto' setting, and seeing how that works.

You need to make a light box and to mount your camera on a tripod.
I'm using lamps on either side with 75w GE Revel Bulbs and a nice neutral gray background.
Then do a nice cropping of your finished photos.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html
proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks--I was thinking of building something like this, but I didn't completely know how to do it. It looks pretty simple, so I'm going to do it as soon as I find the right box.

Hopefully I'll have some good pics to post soon!

Thanks for all the good advice!

Top Bottom