What's new

Cleaning question

Ok so I've broken down and purchased an old gillette adjustable from e-Bay. Can anyone point me to a thread about the best way to clean it up? I'm not looking to make it into a show piece, I just don't want someone elses (old) shaving scum.

Warm (not scalding) water and a soft toothbrush seem to be accepted means here. It did wonders on some old razors I picked up. They're not blindingly beautiful or anything but they're certainly clean enough that I'm not worried about other peoples skin on there any more.

I have soaked the razor in hot water from the tap, used an old toothbrush with dawn dish detergent to clean the tight spots. I may repeat the above depending on the condition of the razor. Prepare a solution of Barbicide and soak for 10 minutes rinse in hot water dry and store until ready to shave. The wiki posted by Saturn is very good. Check it out.

An ultrasonic cleaner will really help and will be great for keeping your razor(s) clean in the future. They're relatively affordable and do work!

An ultrasonic cleaner will really help and will be great for keeping your razor(s) clean in the future. They're relatively affordable and do work!

Uhm...you gave me an idea. I believe I will save the next toothbrush head from my sonic toothbrush and give it a try the next time I clean a razor.:001_smile Not the same as immersion in a solution with sonic cleaning but worth a try.

When your using that old toothbrush and your scrubbing away, try adding a dab of toothpaste. It'll make things shine, will clean up any old gunk, and it won't hurt the metal. :001_smile :w00t:

An old tooth brush and some soap, mix in with some hot water and your good to go. Scrubbing bubbles works wonders too.

Top Bottom