What's new

Anyone have an EdenPURE heater?

I considered getting one, but did some online research first. I decided not to purchase one because they were expensive, and apparently they are no more amazing or innovative than any other electric space heater. In short, I did find enough convincing evidence to refute Edenpure's claims.

Don

I have one of the Deluxe models, with the wood cabinet. It works fine, but not as great as I thought it would. It nice for taking the edge off of the cool evenings in the spring and fall. I don't use it for keeping the house heating during the winter, not good enough for that. The thermostat is lower, but I am not sure I really have saved much last season.

The only way that an EdenPure or space heater can save money is if you turn the heat for the whole house and use the space heater to heat only the room that you are in. A similar method was used back before public utilities became common. You can still find houses that have doors between the living room, dining room, and so on in order to partition the house down so that the fireplaces kept you warm.

Cost-efficiency of normal electric heating is constant, you pay for n joules of energy and you get n joules of heating. (Substitute joules with whatever unit you pay for your electricity in.)

But even with this fact there's substantial differences between heaters, and one of the small differences can make a difference for power consumption: modern electronic thermostats are better at accurately controlling temperature - at best you're talking a few percent of savings.

Take notice of how exposed the heating element / what the max exposed surface temperature is though. Hot dust isn't healthy, and it's especially noticeable for asthma/allergy sufferers. Oil-filled ones are pretty cheap - and there's exotic ones that are very healthy & pretty good-looking with the heating element encased in stone/glass.

Depending on how cold it gets outside, there's some merit to air-con units with a "heating mode." You get 2-4W of heat for every 1 watt of electricity. Up here it's what makes people buy air-con units. Anything below -20C (-4F) and they quickly get worse at efficiency and match the 1:1 of a normal electric heating appliance.

I have one and I don't think they live up to their claims at all. I find an old fashioned quartz heater we have that is well over 25 years old, works better. I'm going to take a classified ad in our local paper and sell the thing. :001_rolle

Top Bottom