What's new

How do you make a Balsa wood strop?

OK I am just starting to get regular strops figured out, but now I am considering making balsa wood strops for myself. I can get balsa wood in 1/8" x 3" x 36" pieces but I am not sure what all else is needed. I know there has to be someone in this forum that knows how to make these :lol:

I dont know how fancy it has to be for you but i went to ace hardware and bought a strip of balsa 1 1/2"x 18" for about 3 bucks and it works great. just lay it flat on a tables edge and let er rip.

I saw a balsa paddle strop made from a stair spindle that had been cut in half and the balsa was glued to it. with the right shape spindle you could glue 2 pieces of balsa to it one could be plain the other pasted with a little chromium oxide.

if you want pictures on how to do this just Google "diy balsa wood strop" and you will find it:thumbup1:

they are cheap and very easy to make.

Have fun now.

I saw a balsa paddle strop made from a stair spindle that had been cut in half and the balsa was glued to it. with the right shape spindle you could glue 2 pieces of balsa to it one could be plain the other pasted with a little chromium oxide.

if you want pictures on how to do this just Google "diy balsa wood strop" and you will find it:thumbup1:

they are cheap and very easy to make.

Have fun now.

Yeah I saw that one too on the other forum ...

I was thinking maybe doing balsa wood on one side of the paddle and hard felt on the other side of the paddle?? Or would that be overkill :lol:

I made one to use with chromium oxide. You can look at the pictures and see the materials, and the finished product. If I could do it, anyone can.
Materials: a block of wood, a piece of leather (from Michaels), glue and chromium oxide. Of course, you could line the wood with balsa instead of leather if you'd like.

Yeah I saw that one too on the other forum ...

I was thinking maybe doing balsa wood on one side of the paddle and hard felt on the other side of the paddle?? Or would that be overkill :lol:

Well if you are making one out of a stair spindle with 4 sides why not go for it that way you will have the option to find out what works for you.

Top Bottom