What's new

Shaving with Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap - YES!

T

TreeHugger

I just had an outstanding shave with Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap.

The lather was not overwhelming - a bit thin, but has the staying power and provides an excellent gliding base. Better than any other soap/cream that I've used. Blows my current product - Kiss My Face Moisture Shave out of the water. Perhaps it's because I'm so used to using creams, maybe I need to try out more soaps.

Anyone else use Bronner's to shave?

T

TreeHugger

Got caught up and posted too quickly, please move to the Soap forum. Thanks

I've used Dr. B's soap, back in the Mach3 days ... while it worked OK in a pinch, at least as compared to canned goop, it was not something I'd want to use on a daily basis.

It should always be followed by a good aftershave balm or other product to moisturize the skin, as Dr. B is known to be quite drying.

I still use it a lot as a shower soap, but only to get myself clean. I always follow it up with another product to add moisturizers, and sometimes scent, before I step out and dry myself off.

I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for anyone else who had experience with shaving with castile soap. Unfortunately, this was just about the only page that came up on Google about doing so. Therefore, I figured I should contribute for other like-minded people.

Background: I use unscented castile soap for everything from washing dishes while traveling to washing up in the shower. I wanted to see if I could use it for shaving with a DE razor. I am a reletively new DE razor user.

My experience: I had about 2 days worth of facial hair at the time I shaved. Using only the castile soap and my hands (no brush or bowl), I must say that my face feels better and smoother now than it ever has. It took frequent reapplication as the soap did not hold a lather for more than 30 seconds. However, I found that once applied, I could remake the lather by rubbing my face quickly with my hand for a few seconds. I simply did this repeatedly wherever I was about to bring the razor. When I rinsed the razor, I remade the lather. It was quite simple and the blade glided effortlessly compared to other shaving soap.

I could definitely see this coming in handy for traveling if you don't want to bring a bunch of brushes or bowls. Two thumbs up for the minimalist approach!

TL, DR: Castile soap is one of the best soaps I have used for shaving with a DE razor.

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for anyone else who had experience with shaving with castile soap. Unfortunately, this was just about the only page that came up on Google about doing so. Therefore, I figured I should contribute for other like-minded people.

Background: I use unscented castile soap for everything from washing dishes while traveling to washing up in the shower. I wanted to see if I could use it for shaving with a DE razor. I am a reletively new DE razor user.

My experience: I had about 2 days worth of facial hair at the time I shaved. Using only the castile soap and my hands (no brush or bowl), I must say that my face feels better and smoother now than it ever has. It took frequent reapplication as the soap did not hold a lather for more than 30 seconds. However, I found that once applied, I could remake the lather by rubbing my face quickly with my hand for a few seconds. I simply did this repeatedly wherever I was about to bring the razor. When I rinsed the razor, I remade the lather. It was quite simple and the blade glided effortlessly compared to other shaving soap.

I could definitely see this coming in handy for traveling if you don't want to bring a bunch of brushes or bowls. Two thumbs up for the minimalist approach!

TL, DR: Castile soap is one of the best soaps I have used for shaving with a DE razor.

I go camping every year during the 4th of July weekend. We bathe in the lake we're on, and I always use Dr. Bronner's Castile liquid soap. I've also used it to shave with a straight razor a few different times while camping and have had no issues with the shave or the aftermath. I lather and rinse with distilled water while shaving when I'm camping though. Castile soap works just fine. It might not have the cushion or great fragrance that shaving soaps and creams can have, but the slickness and cleansing properties are there. It definitely works.

Welcome to B&B!

I found this here last night. Loved it. It had a nice lavender scent and the juniper I guess it was brought some warmth. Not like peppermint but it actually warmed the lather temp wise as I brushed it on my scalp, or at least it sure seemed as if it slowly got warmer once applied. Anyway, a new favorite shave soap for me.

Most of my “shave soaps” have a Castile base or have it as one of a couple/few soaps blended together. I tend to use other products in lieu of soaps split about evenly. Creams, conditioners, shampoos, oils. Castille is a fairly constant ingredient in the soaps, though.

Well I goofed-the photo didn’t post above.

A35849A6-9AE5-492B-AAD4-0FC03BF8116D.jpeg

I’ve got the lemongrass/lime, and lavendar shave soaps from Bronner.

The caps both leak, lol. And they are two different styles. They were a reported problem on YouTube and other website reviews. I didn’t expect to see leaks, but neither can be stood up on it’s cap or laid on it’s side. Makes for awkward storage.

When I was shaving with carts I used Dr. Bronner's. When traveling I used the liquid soap for everything, bathing, shampoo, laundry, and shaving. It wasn't great because it felt too strong. It was alright because I only shaved every couple of days. At home I occasionally used the shave soap. It wasn't bad, but not as good as my favorite back then, "Every Man Jack." Every now and then, I'd be out of shave cream in the shower (which is where I shaved back then) and have to use the bar soap. It worked in a pinch but wouldn't be a choice if there was anything else.
I still keep a small bottle of DB liquid soap in my Dopp kit.

The Bronner’s shaving soap is a complete mess. The first ingredients of “organic sucrose” and grape juice are enough to both gum up the razor (lots of rinsing!) and leave your face and all of your kit sticky to the touch.

Dr. Bronner’s is probably the first tube I tossed after a single use because of the sticky mess.

I recently tried shaving with some rose-scented Dr. Bronner's liquid soap I got hold of. It didn't really lather well at all and I stopped about 1/4 the way through a pass because I could tell it wasn't going to be good. But it made an excellent preshave wash- I finished the shave with some Barbasol Pacific Rush and the glide and residual slickness was very good.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Castille soap probably works fine, their actual shaving soap, I agree @Sousy - complete mess. The only way I think it might be ok would be for shaving in the shower with a cart.

Top Bottom