What's new

Bar Soap Opinions

Since I jumped into the deep-end last week switching to DE shaving I've been thinking about my other "den" habits and am looking to make some more switches.

For this post, my question is about bar soaps...

I haven't used one in a LONG time. I've been reluctantly relying on Axe, Old Spice, and currently Irish Spring body washes.

I'm looking to make a switch to something less detergent based and I believe in supporting small businesses.

As a new member, I look forward to learning a lot from the debate of preference to ensue.

Thanks!

I have always used soap or detergent in solid bar format. Never did buy into the liquid body wash stuff. I found the overall cost for bodywash was much higher than bar soaps.

Although now my shaving hobby has extended here too, I find I'm seeking out the more expensive bars, negating any financial benefits compared to bodywashes. :blushing:

My favourite brand so far is Imperial Leather. It lasts a good long time, and has a great spicy scent (though some might consider it heavy). There's a British goods store around the corner from me whom carries it, but be prepared to pay - It's often cheaper mail ordered direct from UK.

Mitchell's wool fat, who makes an excellent shaving soap, also makes bar soap that is also tallow and lanolin. I picked some up with a recent order and I have to say it is a very good soap, made with tallow and lanolin just like the shave soap.

Dr. Bronner's Magical Soaps are great and pure. Hugo Naturals soaps are also great. You can buy them at iherb.com, and have a $5 discount in your first purchase by entering the IRO586 coupon code.

Mitchell's wool fat, who makes an excellent shaving soap, also makes bar soap that is also tallow and lanolin. I picked some up with a recent order and I have to say it is a very good soap, made with tallow and lanolin just like the shave soap.

+1. Mitchell's Wool Fat bath soap is good stuff.

I also like Yardley's bath soaps, which are available in most supermarkets, and in some Dollar Trees. They have a tallow version and an "all natural" vegetable based one. Both are good.

I currently alternate between Burt's Bees Men's Line soap and Out of Africa's Black soap.

Burt's has a nice citrusy scent that is great for summer weather. OoA's Black soap is 20% Shea Butter, and lathers up rich and creamy.

Other key ingredients are an Ayate cloth and a loofah sponge.

+1 Dr. Bronners, I use the unscented baby mild.

Also check out: Dial Basics, Palmolive, any of the Out of Africa, Kiss My Face.

I currently alternate between Burt's Bees Men's Line soap and Out of Africa's Black soap.

Burt's has a nice citrusy scent that is great for summer weather. OoA's Black soap is 20% Shea Butter, and lathers up rich and creamy.

Other key ingredients are an Ayate cloth and a loofah sponge.

Yes! This is something I forgot to mention. Using a mesh loofah with a bar of soap is an excellent combo for an exfoliating and moisturizing shower. I just rub the loofah onto the bar for about 10-20 seconds and it gives enough creamy lather for the whole shower. This is what made using bar soaps worth it for me.

Go to your local health food store or drugstore/parfumerie and just try the natural soaps, from here you can acquire another AD other than razors, blades, brushes, creams, shaving soaps, after shaves and maybe colognes :w00t:.

+1

I did the same when I ordered the shave soap.

I like it a lot and plan to give some bars as Christmas presents to those of my family and friends that appreciate "Old Style" stuff.

+1 for the Yardley soaps. You can find them at supermarkets like Kroger's ... and places like Dollar Tree have 'em for a buck. Love that tallowy goodness ...

Another option: I recently ordered some shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley Soaps -- http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/ -- and based on the performance of the shampoo bars, I'll bet the soaps are terrific. Not inexpensive, but big bars and all natural.

I recently switched back to bar soaps as well. My two faves so far are South of France and Pre de Provence. Go for the good triple-milled stuff :thumbsup:

Grandpa's Wonder Pine Tar Soap. Smell is unique, but soap is awesome.

Their Witch Hazel Soap is spectacular too. And the scent is great.

Top Bottom