What's new

Aleppo vs. Marseille vs. Castile Soap

T

TreeHugger

How do they compare, what do you prefer, and what are some of the top brands for each type?

I have Aleppo soap, it's not bad, but the scent is not for everyone, smells a little bit rancid. I personally don't like it very much. I've tried one Aleppo soap with jasmine essential oil and it was even worse, a dreadful stinch.
Can't speak about castile or Marseille.

Aleppo soap is a very basic olive oil soap, which may contain Laurel Oil up to varying amounts. This can be used for everything from washing, shaving, as shampoo and household cleaning as our great great great grandmother's probably did :001_rolle. Savon de Marseille maybe produced from Olive or Palm oil and are usually 72%, to be authentic this is fragrance free. I haven't used a Castile soap (but it's also a generic term). I prefer to use a SdM as a facial or bath soap, and the Aleppo soap as a shampoo, it does smell like wet cardboard :w00t:. French soaps with Shea butter or SdM with fragrances such as Lavender, Verbena etc are my favourites.

Well known brands of Aleppo soap are Tade and Artalepp. Savon de Marseille are Le Maison du Savon de Marseille (Savonnerie Artisanale de Provence), Rampal Latour, Le Serail, Marius Fabre, Licorne. US French Soap brands are South of France, Mistral, L'Epi de Provence, Pré de Provence, Belle de Provence, Amelie & Melanie. French makers are CDSM, Lothantique, Martin de Candre, Provence Santé, Durance, L'Occitane en Provence, and Compagnie de Provence.

Last edited:
Aleppo soap is a very basic olive oil soap, which may contain Laurel Oil up to varying amounts. This can be used for everything from washing, shaving, as shampoo and household cleaning as our great great great grandmother's probably did :001_rolle. Savon de Marseille maybe produced from Olive or Palm oil and are usually 72%, to be authentic this is fragrance free. I haven't used a Castile soap (but it's also a generic term). I prefer to use a SdM as a facial or bath soap, and the Aleppo soap as a shampoo, it does smell like wet cardboard :w00t:. French soaps with Shea butter or SdM with fragrances such as Lavender, Verbena etc are my favourites.

Well known brands of Aleppo soap are Tade and Artalepp. Savon de Marseille are Le Maison du Savon de Marseille (Savonnerie Artisanale de Provence), Rampal Latour, Le Serail, Marius Fabre, Licorne. US French Soap brands are South of France, Mistral, L'Epi de Provence, Pré de Provence, Belle de Provence, Amelie & Melanie. French makers are CDSM, Lothantique, Martin de Candre, Provence Santé, Durance, L'Occitane en Provence, and Compagnie de Provence.

Thumbs up for a hugely informative reply :thumbup:

Allepo soap is great, you can use it as a body soap and as well as shampoo, its also good for dandruff.
There is an arabic store near where i live , they sell huge Allepo soap for 1,50$.
Don't get fool buying an Allepo soap at 12$, it doesn't worth that price.

Allepo soap is great, you can use it as a body soap and as well as shampoo, its also good for dandruff.
There is an arabic store near where i live , they sell huge Allepo soap for 1,50$.
Don't get fool buying an Allepo soap at 12$, it doesn't worth that price.

Very true, I can buy Aleppo Ghar soap from the French companies for €5.00 (200 grams), if I head into ethnic neighbour hoods I can find Aleppo soap for €5.00 for 600-800 grams (100 gr bars).

T

TreeHugger

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Picked up two bars yesterday - peppermint and unscented Dr. Bronner's. I'll let you know how they turn out.

T

TreeHugger

Used Dr. Bronner's this morning. Pretty good results, also used it to shave and was really surprised at how well it performed. The only drawback was that it was too drying for my skin. How does Kirk's compare to Dr. Bronner's?

Very true, I can buy Aleppo Ghar soap from the French companies for €5.00 (200 grams), if I head into ethnic neighbour hoods I can find Aleppo soap for €5.00 for 600-800 grams (100 gr bars).
I posted this before, and I have a lot more now :w00t:.

Used Dr. Bronner's this morning. Pretty good results, also used it to shave and was really surprised at how well it performed. The only drawback was that it was too drying for my skin. How does Kirk's compare to Dr. Bronner's?
A French Shea Butter soap is obviously very moisturising :biggrin1:.

Kirks castile soap is inexpensive and lathers like crazy in all kinds of water. I like the clean feeling but prefer something with a fragrance which Kirks does not have.

Kirks castile soap is inexpensive and lathers like crazy in all kinds of water. I like the clean feeling but prefer something with a fragrance which Kirks does not have.

+1 on Kirks which is available at many supermarkets. I actually like the scent and it does lather like crazy, but I can't get a bar to last more than a couple days because it 'melts' in the shower.

Top Bottom