What's new

Bay Rum

I know these types of questions are tough to answer, but, what does good bay rum smell like? I was in a specialty soap shop the other day, and they had a "bay rum" shaving soap that was unimpressive. It was olive oil based with other scents, which may have impacted the bay rum scent.

What prompts this question is that I'm thinking about picking up some Dominica bay rum AS with my next blade purchase online and was wanting to get an idea of the scent. I read the reviews and couldn't quite get a feel for the scent. Any help is appreciated.

It's weird, but a lot like christmas lol. Cloves are a big scent in it. it's not what you think though, a very manly scent. It smells familiar and different at the same time.

I never thought I'd like it since it's a very old scent and I'm 27. I would give it a try.

I would love to try this Superior 70 bay rum. I checked the Walgreens around me and no one has it. I'm in Springfield, MO. I also ran the listings for St. Louis, MO since my wife has family and I could pick it up while there. No luck. Is it maybe a regional thing? Anyone know another vendor, maybe one that would ship?

I prefer the pimenta acris bay leaf which my 2 favorites DR Harris and St. John's use. For a cheaper alternative the Dominica Bay Rum / Lime hybrid smells nice although it's not entirely bay rum. The lime twist really makes a difference in that one.

Just received some Ogallala bay rum shave soap and as splash today...very clovey and spicy smelling...smells awsome!

Decided to go the quick and cheap route, and picked up some Clubman Bay Rum at Walgreen's yesterday. Splashed it on for the first time this morning, and I'm really digging it. You guys were spot on with describing the scent. Looking forward to trying some of the others you guys recommended in the future.

Thanks, gents.

Just remember not every Bay Rum goes the clove/cinnamon route. Masters, for example, does a fairly straight bay scent without the spices.

Last edited:
Just remember not every Bay Rum goes the clove/cinnamon route. Masters, for example, does a fairly straight bay scent without the spices.

Very true. My first bay rum was Orgallala, which at first sniff reminded me of apple pie! Fortunately, I really love apple pie. Next was the Bigelow ASB, which has a sharper, almost tangy scent ... not nearly as sweet as the Ogallala.

I keep hoping to find the Clubman bay rum at a local Walgreens or CVS, but think I might have to order it online. I'll keep an eye out for the Superior, too.

I went to Walgreens online and they had Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum 12.0 oz $7.99 and Superior 70 Bay Rum 11.0 oz $1.99. I will head to my local Walgreens and take a look....I have Oglalla Bay Rum but I would like to try these two for a comparison. :thumbup1:

I bought the Clubman a few months ago when I was on vacation on Florida. The Walgreens there had them, unlike my local store.

I'm not much of a clove/cinnamon guy myself ... but even with those notes the Clubman is a good juice. I sometimes mix it 50/50 with Masters By Rum when I want to cut the spice notes.

I'm not much of a clove/cinnamon guy myself ... but even with those notes the Clubman is a good juice.

Agreed. Smells a bit medicine-ey when you sniff the bottle, but drys down pretty nice. Good AS properties too, not real drying, but great toner and calmer. FWIW, I found it on Walgreen's website, and then they have like a store locator button that will tell you where it is within like 600 miles of your zip code. Even tells you if it's in stock or not. At least you can find out if any Walgreen's around you carries it. I've got about 50 within 20 miles of me, and only about 5 carried the Bay Rum.

CVS drug store has Superior 70 bay rum.

Clubman bay rum stinks to high heaven. I have a bottle of it here and never used it. I remember buying a bottle of it for my father decades ago. I must have been about 11 years old. He never used it. It sat in the cabinet under the sink. I forgot how it got into the house. I bought a bottle of it last winter and it's sitting in the cabinet under the sink too.

Clubman bay rum stinks to high heaven. I have a bottle of it here and never used it. I remember buying a bottle of it for my father decades ago. I must have been about 11 years old. He never used it. It sat in the cabinet under the sink. I forgot how it got into the house. I bought a bottle of it last winter and it's sitting in the cabinet under the sink too.

Clubman Bay Rum is AWESOME. The ladies love it. It is sweet and spiceym and makes a great body splash. Superior 70 is amazing too.

I bought some bay rum - a local brand -- and found it hard hardly any scent at all. I was very disappointed and have used it only a couple of times. In fact I was using it as a hair tonic just to use it up. So I'm glad to know 'proper' bay rum does have a nice smell. I'll get some better stuff next time I see it.

Here is something for all you Bay Rum fans to try at home. It is completely wholesome and organic, smells better than ANY store bought version you can find at any price, and has an indefinite shelf life.

Add to a screw top jam jar as many bay leaves as the jar will hold, crack each leaf with your fingers before adding it. Peel one small orange, tear the peel into small squares and add the peel to the jar, eat the orange!
Add 5 whole cloves, and one stick of cinnamon. Break the stick of cinnamon in half if it won't fit in the jar.
Pour into the jar a dark rum, use a cheap rum, an expensive one will not make the finished product any better, just make sure you use a DARK rum. Fill to the top.
Screw the lid on the jar and leave UNDISTURBED in a dark place for one month. DO NOT SHAKE THE JAR OR KEEP CHECKING IT, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE.
After one month, empty the contents into a strainer and throw all the solids away, put the liquid into any empty aftershave or cologne bottle and use whenever you wish.

Trust me, this is a better bay rum product than you can buy anywhere!

This is the original Jamaican recipe and it has never been bettered. There is something deeply satisfying about making it yourself, especially when people compliment you on it, and ask you where you got it from!

Last edited:
My local Walgreens doesn't carry Superior 70 but they do have it on-line. I went to my local Walgreens and they ordered 3 bottles (11 oz each) for me and it gets shipped to the store for free, they call you when it arrives. I just had to pay up front..$6 + tax for 3 bottles, not bad.

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom