What's new

Cigar primer for new smokers

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the helpful info in this thread. I just started cigars and this type of advice is much appreciated.

Any recommendations on the best lighter? Or maybe stick with matches?

Thanks again!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the helpful info in this thread. I just started cigars and this type of advice is much appreciated.

Any recommendations on the best lighter?
Or maybe stick with matches?

Thanks again!

Ronson Jet-Lite. Nearly indestructible and only $3.00 at Wal-Mart. :thumbup1:

Hey Guys,

Any recommendations on the best lighter? Or maybe stick with matches?

Thanks again!

Matches work very well and you can find them anywhere. The only time I'd recommend a torch lighter is if you're smoking outdoors.

When I discovered the pleasures of the leaf (the legal leaf any way) 18 years ago. I found it great to light it up with good friends. The mix of great conversation and comraderie will make sure you don't smoke too fast. Its like smoking the shisha (water pipe). Its best to talk and puff, talk and puff.
And as already mentioned, remember Bill Clinton and don't inhale (which is tough for cigarette smokers and tokers).:biggrin:

A good sipping spirit (rum,brandy,cognac,whisk(e)y) can also substitute for having friends around.

Best torch lighter- Blazer PB207, probably the most reliable. Avoid colibri, prometheus, vector like the plague, though the flint ignition Colibri has been pretty reliable. Another cool torch is the Zippo Blu.

My favorite value lighter bar none- Im Corona Old Boy $100, tough, huge tank of fuel and looks very elegant.

Also, if you do go the lighter route, avoid Colibri like the plague. You can thank me later. :wink:

Did you have one die on you Cory? My $15 *** has actually served me quite well. I've had it close to a year now and really the only issues I have with it is when the fuel gets low(it doesn't like to light). Other than that, I can't really complain. Now, if I spent ST Dupont money, that thing had better work under water, in outer space, and get me into the VIP section anywhere I take it. :cool:

I bought a Xikar torch lighter for outdoor smokes. They have a nice, basic model for around $30.
My favorite lighter is my Im Corona Double Flame lighter. It has two jets to give a nice, even light. It also has a hefty price tag: msrp $150 (SWMBO still doesn't know!!!) These things work flawlessly and last a lifetime.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Did you have one die on you Cory? My $15 *** has actually served me quite well. I've had it close to a year now and really the only issues I have with it is when the fuel gets low(it doesn't like to light). Other than that, I can't really complain. Now, if I spent ST Dupont money, that thing had better work under water, in outer space, and get me into the VIP section anywhere I take it. :cool:

I've actually never owned one. :blush: I have heard more than enough horror stories to keep me away, though. As for your lighter, that's great to hear! It seems once you surpass the $30 price tag, then things start to go down hill exponentially in direct relation to price. :tongue_sm

Anyone know a good place online to get cigars? Bearing in mind I'm in the UK I would like some reccomendations for sites which aren't charging excessively.

Another thing to watch out for when beginning is the allure of the small cigar & cigarillo. Some think it better if they start small or want to look like Clint Eastwood. However because the bright end on these things is usually much closer to your mouth and the diameter you are pulling the smoke through is so much smaller these little guys are significantly hotter and harsher than a nice mellow Robusto or Julieta.

Also for a first timer it can be helpful to start outdoors somewhere that you can expectorate unashamedly. If you are unaccustomed to tobacco, your salivary glands might kick into overdrive and one of the best ways to spoil that first stogie is with a belly full of tobacco juice trying to escape the same way it got in.

If you do have a chance to procure an inexpensive cuban, stick it in your humidor and leave it there to enrich the flavour of the others (like a box of baking soda in the fridge, except this one is giving off aroma rather than soaking it up).

Take it slow and, like shaving with a straight (not that I know anything about that), and so many other things in life, DON'T use Hollywood as a guide for how things are done properly.

Even though I love them dearly, never use a plain ol' Zippo lighter to light your cigars. If you use matches, they should be wood matches. But don't use Blue Tip or comparable "stove matches". Special sulfur-free matches are what you want. Your tobacconist will probably give you a small box if you ask.
Zippos and Sulfur matches will taint the flavor of your cigar.

And yes, get a good cutter! I have a Zino that's like an old friend.

I've owned three Colibri lighters and all became virtually useless within a month or so. From falling apart piece by piece to simply not functioning, Colibri lighters are pretty bad. Ronson jet-light is a great suggestion, it's even a nice looking lighter.

A good cutter is a real help. I really like the Cuban Crafters perfect cutter that I got a while ago. Way easier to get a good clip on a stick than my other cutters. They're available at the link below for $8. I also can strongly recommend these. A very good medium cigar with flawless construction. JMHO.

Wayne

I have not been on these forums long, but i have come to learn cigars over the past year

I agree with all the presented information, and a great tip by Mano on staying away from thompson, i didn't much care for what they sold at the price

Cutters are good, but i was given a hole punch and i have not used a cutter since

Also, alot of new smokers think of gas station cigars as cigars, and i realise that most people on these forums probably won't, it doesn't hurt to say it

Start where everyone else said to, go to a local smoke shop, and ask! They are usually more than happy to point you in the right direction. I also know a few people around my age who wanted to start to smoke cigars, but they are too use to swisher sweets or something of the sort. If you really are into flavored cigars, and want to try something sweet, Check out CAO or Acid Cigars, There are mild ones that are easy to start with, and well worth the time, although they are a little bit more than you may want to spend. In my opinion it is worth it, they are one of my favorite brands of cigars, and i would reccomend them to anyone

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
What a nice thread. I don't smoke nearly as much as I used to, but I love a good Punch, Hoyo, Fuente, Rey del Mundo (especially their rectangulares), R&J, Montecristo, Padron, and a host of others. I have an enormous JR five minutes from my house.

My best advice is that after you learn all about cigars.................

get a pipe. :lol:

What a nice thread. I don't smoke nearly as much as I used to, but I love a good Punch, Hoyo, Fuente, Rey del Mundo (especially their rectangulares), R&J, Montecristo, Padron, and a host of others. I have an enormous JR five minutes from my house.

My best advice is that after you learn all about cigars.................

get a pipe. :lol:

Jay, you have far more willpower than I. I would turn into a homeless junkie sleeping on a bed of cellophane and ceder sleeves on their front door step.

Top Bottom