What's new

Plisson ?

Seems strange that I am just now learning about these brushes.

Wonder why? Overpriced?

Rumor is the high mountian white is too floppy and does not last long - heresay on my part.

It appears that Plisson rivals or is better quality than Simpson's.

I think the world of my Polo 10 Super.

What do you fellas think of Plisson?

You don't hear much about Plisson because their brushes are not as widely available, and yes, they are expensive.

Randy

Plisson is one of the five top brands in shaving brushes: Plisson, Simpsons Rooney, Kent, Vulfix, the first three brands being absolute top.

French made, scarcily available, pretty expensive, although Plisson does manufacture some cheaper and imo modest models too.

According to many hig end users Plisson brushes are the best you can get. But definitely not the best value for money though, at least imo; those are Shavemacs and Savile Rows.

But if you don't care about the money, get a Plisson: for the name, the appeal and the look; and they do perform very well too........

Frankly speaking, my Plsisson High Mountain White horn handled #20 with a 28 mmm knot diameter is my most beloved specimen. It costed about $700,- in those days....

Does it perform better than a $100,- brush???? No of course......it's all about appeal/appearance, look, material etc...

But shaving brushes are not only for performance; for me they are to look, to feel, to hold, to use.....to collect......

If you want something extraordinary: get a Plisson

Do you want a shaving brush? Get a SM or SR....

Peter

My girlfriend gave me my first shaving brush 20some years ago. :001_tt1:
A smaller Plisson silvertip that I use to this day. If i remember correctly cost was around Euro 90. I think they still use European badger hair.
Only very recently bought a second brush. ToBs S41.

Plisson has one of the most beautifull black badger hair brushes with a black handle for about Euro 70.

I like Plisson very much. Getting a HMW prevented SBAD for me - in this respect it was a great value.

Cheers
Ivo

This vintage Plisson in size 12 is one of my favorite brushes period. I think that I paid about $120.-130.00 for it used. I believe that the seller had claimed it to be twenty years old, so yes they are built to last!

Although I'm just a new addition to the group, I found your post on Brush advice very clear and concise.

I love to trout fish Quality Bamboo fly rods. I've lost count on the number of times younger , brasher fishermen have come uyp to me in the stream and offered free unwanted advise as follows;" Gee pops, you are way out of it.
There are really good ( ha ha) rods made out of fiberglass and Graphite that are the latest thiing!"
I have one response;" Son, I'll buy a graphite rod when the concertmaster of the L.A. Philharmonic symphony plays a graphite violin instead of his Stratavari"
Your comments put me in mind of this. ( I married my olde Bamboo rods for better or for worse! many years ago)
Connman ( aka Arthur)

Its like many other things in life. You only need a pedestrian quality to do the job at hand but there are things that transend "doing the job". If you can appreciate the fit and finish, quality of construction, longevity and other things that can't be quantified you buy the best you can afford. Remember a chevy will get you where you want to go just as fast and almost as comfortably as a top end mercedes.

I just recently got a Plisson High Mountain White from Atkinson's: Size 12, horn handle. Photo here. It's an amazing brush. I am taken aback by its quality. The post at the link includes size info. Size 12 is very nice. :smile:

Its like many other things in life. You only need a pedestrian quality to do the job at hand but there are things that transend "doing the job". If you can appreciate the fit and finish, quality of construction, longevity and other things that can't be quantified you buy the best you can afford. Remember a chevy will get you where you want to go just as fast and almost as comfortably as a top end mercedes.

Agreed. Further, I think it is necessary to have owned/used some of the "pedestrian quality" products in order to really appreciate what a higher end product has to offer.

I just recently got a Plisson High Mountain White from Atkinson's: Size 12, horn handle. Photo here. It's an amazing brush. I am taken aback by its quality. The post at the link includes size info. Size 12 is very nice. :smile:

Hi Michael,

May I ask you to compare the HMW with the one your wife got you from the last master barber of Paris? (I do have the HMW but how can I argue with the master barber who wrote Plisson's brochure if he says the other one is better?)

Cheers
Ivo

Top Bottom