What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable -- Settings

Hi all,

I have been using a Slim Adjustable for some time now, and I'm loving this classic razor's functionality, ergonomics, and design.

I use 5 as the setting for the first pass, and 3 for the second pass. A setting lower than 3 doesn't seem to cut it (Pun alert).

What settings do you use for which pass?

Cheers,
-Snick

Last edited:
It's my everyday razor and I use the exact same settings as you do: 5 for pass 1, 3 for pass 2.

This thing is like magic when set on 3 for the second pass. Great razor.:thumbup1:

I tried changing settings, both lower and higher for subsequent passes.

For both Slim and Fat Boy, I found the best shaves at "5 and forget it." I try to use a light touch on the first pass, knowing that my second (XTG-ATG) pass will pick up the stragglers.

Of course, what works best for one is not always best for another!

My first pass on my face is at 7 and neck is at 4. My next passes on my face is 9 and on my neck it goes to 6, 7, and my final ATG pass is usually at 6 or 7 depending on the stubble.

When I first started out I began at 4 and went to 7 but after I while I changed my settings to the above.

Assuming I'm shaving a two-day growth, I set my Slim at 9 for the first (WTG) pass, 7 for the second (XTG) pass, then 5 for the final (ATG) pass. I find I get the best results with Shark or RP Personna blades.

Mike

With my slim I start with a 5 on the WTG like most of you gents, down to 3 for the XTG, but I actually find that after 3 passes (1 WTG, 2 XTG) I can dial it down all the way to 1 for touch-up and get a BBS shave with no irritation.

Assuming I'm shaving a two-day growth, I set my Slim at 9 for the first (WTG) pass, 7 for the second (XTG) pass, then 5 for the final (ATG) pass. I find I get the best results with Shark or RP Personna blades.

Mike

Hi DE7,

Wow, at 9 I would be afraid of slicing off my nose and lips by accident! :w00t:

I am using Feather blades. One blade lasts me for 5 to 7 shaves. I use one side of the blade for the first pass and the other side for the second pass. That way I wear the two edges hopefully fairly evenly instead of randomly.

Cheers,
-Snick

Last edited:
I've kept mine at 5 for all passes so far. maybe I should branch out more, but it seems to be working for me just as it is.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just because it's adjustable doesn't mean it's mandatory. It's still a fine tool whether you fiddle with it or not.:001_smile

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just because it's adjustable doesn't mean it's mandatory. It's still a fine tool whether you fiddle with it or not.:001_smile

Hi Crixus,

Since the Slim Adjustable can't be adjusted on the fly without opening the barn doors, shaving with two settings gives me an excellent justification for buying a second Slim. Then I can use one Slim with my favorite setting for the first pass, and the other Slim with my preferred setting for the second pass. Of course, what if I decide a third pass is in order? I think I know the answer! :biggrin1:

Cheers,
-Snick

Mike

That's similar to what I do. I set it to 9 for all the passes.:thumbup:

Weenies. :lol:

When I had a slim adjustable, I set it to 7-9, and not lower. I usually used that razor for occasions when I hadn't shaved for several days.

Hi all,
What settings do you use for which pass?

I use a Super Adjustable, like this:
  • Pass 1 (WTG): 3
  • Pass 2 (ATG): 2
  • Extra ATG below the nose: 1

Tuning it down from 3 to 2 for the ATG pass removed the last traces of red bumps from my neck. I fully expect to keep using this setup for the rest of my shaving life.

Hi Crixus,

Since the Slim Adjustable can't be adjusted on the fly without opening the barn doors, shaving with two settings gives me an excellent justification for buying a second Slim. Then I can use one Slim with my favorite setting for the first pass, and the other Slim with my preferred setting for the second pass. Of course, what if I decide a third pass is in order? I think I know the answer! :biggrin1:

Cheers,
-Snick
Surely there is a career in marketing out there looking high and low for you.:001_smile

First pass: 5

Second pass: 7

any required touch-up: leave at 7.

One exception; if I am using a Feather, than I just leave it at 5.

Anything below 3 does not seem to do much.

First pass: 5

Second pass: 7

any required touch-up: leave at 7.

One exception; if I am using a Feather, than I just leave it at 5.

Anything below 3 does not seem to do much.

Hi dreadpirate,

That's interesting that you use a more aggressive setting for the second pass instead of the other way around.

Set to 1 or 2, I think I could do a few dozen passes without ill effects.

Cheers,
-Snick

Top Bottom