What's new

What's the scale for?

plus balances the weight of the blade when shaving.

a very elegant design, straight razors have.

They enable you to carry a straight without cutting your hands to pieces and they also protect the edge of the blade when it's closed.

What prompted me to make the topic was the topic I saw in the BST board. There was a Japanese straight that didn't have a scale :blink:

Do you guys keep the scale in the air, or let it hang down? I was thinking that if I let it hand down it might provide some supportive weight. I don't know, it's just a thought.

What prompted me to make the topic was the topic I saw in the BST board. There was a Japanese straight that didn't have a scale :blink:

Do you guys keep the scale in the air, or let it hang down? I was thinking that if I let it hand down it might provide some supportive weight. I don't know, it's just a thought.

We shave with pointing up, about 90 degrees to the blade.

Japanese straights have a much longer tang/tail, which provides the balance. They are annoying to store though, got to be so careful of the edge.

Legion

Staff member
Yeah, the scale pokes up between your ring finger and your little finger.

Some of the custom guys are now making straights without scales and a sort of little knife block to keep it in, that doesn't let the edge touch anything. No good for your cowboy boot, though.

Last edited:
Had my eighth wonderful shave with a straight today. When I hold my razor to shave, it's opened like a smiley-face. I put my thumb on the spine, at the end of the blade and my index finger under my thumb, at the end of the blade, with my other three fingers wrapped around the shank and scales.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Pretty much what they said...

You could shave without it but it wouldn't be the same...

I think it would be awkward shaving without the scales to balance the weight of the blade. I'm sure you could get used to it, but I like the way they look. Its instantly recognizable as a straight razor...otherwise it would just look like a funny knife.

I have a Pseudo-Japanese straight and a Japanese straight... both shave very well... the longer, heavier tang balances the blade nicely. It does require a different hand position and one much be much more mindful about angle as it's much easier to "roll" the blade the wrong direction without the kick-stand of the scales to remind you of orientation.
Both of mine came with cases that essentially strap them to boards that keep the blade from touching anything... the tang is held down and the blade in free space totally enclosed by the case.

Are these the japanese straight-razors you guys are talking about?

proxy.php

They look freakin' scary! I wouldn't even know how to begin transporting or storing one of those!...Give me a Western straight anyday.

Are razors like that still used regularly today?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Are these the japanese straight-razors you guys are talking about?

proxy.php

They look freakin' scary! I wouldn't even know how to begin transporting or storing one of those!...Give me a Western straight anyday.

Are razors like that still used regularly today?

That's a Japanese straight razor yes. Some use them, there's a video somewhere on youtube that was posted a few weeks back on the board...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=153993

Normally, those are single bevel so you would shave using the same side of the razor always. They are supposed to be very good and give very close shaves... I'm happy with my Straight razors at the moment but don't push the idea of not trying one... Yet...

Top Bottom