What's new

Suggestions for elk roast

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for cooking up an elk roast, I have one in the freezer that I'll be doing up for us and some friends on Monday. Just wondering about if what sort of herbs may go good with it. Thanks.

I cut 1/2" slits in mine and stuff with garlic. Then I coat it in a dry BBQ brisket rub (plowboys bovine bold) and fridge overnight. Sear it in a hot pot. I use a cup of red wine to the water in pot - like the tangy. Then I add all the veggies (onion,celery,carrots, potatoes) I have handy in the kitchen to the pot and let her go slow.

Truth is I almost always overdo the garlic and red wine, but I sort of like it that way.

I've been known to also put this in a crockpot before I got to work in the morning. Not fancy, but the kids sure love it.

Last edited:
Just watch it if you roast it in the oven instead of slow cooking or braising. Elk overcooks and gets tough really easily.

i would suggest strong herbs that stand up to the strong taste of elk, rosemary would be very nice, elk is very lean so for the best results it should be served rare

I saw you post about them before, if I wasn't working all weekend up until labour day I would check them out, still will someday, havn't been out to the farmer's market in a while.

I haven't been to the market in ages either. My freezer isn't empty enough to make a trip there.

I ordered online from them. Lazy, I know.

Went with some Rosemary and sage from the garden, added some garlic and a bit of wine. Cooking now and smells great already.

Top Bottom