What's new

Air tool help.

Looking at buying a friend of mine an impact gun for his birthday. His dad is buying him a decent compressor and since my friend likes to do his own work on vehicles (as well as help me on mine) I figured this was a good idea. I don't know a lot about air tools so I'm coming here for some possible insight. What are some decent brands for the home DIY? I've looked at everything from Craftsman, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Cooper Hausfeld, Mastercraft, etc. (can you tell I've done the Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Rona circuit)? I want something reliable that can has the power to do just about any job. Thanks.

Not all impact guns are the same, look amount of torque it puts out. I bought a cheapy Horrible Frieght one and it does not work for spit. Mine is around 250 when others have around 500 plus pounds of torque.

Ingersoll Rand is a good name. I've had one of theres for almost 10 years. I had a Craftsman but it didn't past very long (could have just been a lemon though) Snap On or Blue Point are expensive but they are top of the line. Also don't forget the impact sockets, they are thicker walled than the regular chrome sockets which is needed to stand up to the hammering action of the impact.

thanks for the input guys. I did look at Ingersol Rand and I know them from their compressors. Think we have a few people putting in so we should be able to cover the cost of something decent. Last thing I want is to buy him something under powered or something that breaks after minimal use.

Go with a IR. I worked in the auto industry for a while and that is what everyone uses. I have had mine for over 12 years and it is still going strong.

What is a decent compressor? Look at the max CFM and compare it to the required amount for the impact you want to get. You might also want to consider an air ratchet or 3/8 impact (rather than the standard 1/2).

Top Bottom