What's new

Are large watches here to stay?

Now I'm not a big time watch guy. In fact I own two. A G-Shock for work and a Wenger as my "dress" watch. The thing is though, I've noticed over the last few years that watch faces seem to have become huge. I don't really pay close attention to watch trends so it may go back further than that. But anyway, my question is, are we going to look back ten years from now and cringe at the size of the watches people are wearing, (they look a bit gaudy to me right now but to each his or her own) or does this mark some type of permanent shift, as permanent as fashion can be that is.

for the foreseeable future. I can't imagine guys going back to the small watches they wore in the 40's or so. Lots of men's watches back then were 33 or 34mm or less.

I've been a watch nut all my life and I've been a member of wrist watch forums since the late 90's and the trend has been larger watches during that time. In fact, watches that were once considered freakishly large - like Panerai - are now relatively small in comparison.

Having said that, there are still lots of small men's watches available at all price points. You can still find lots of 34 or 36mm watches for men.

I'm actually considering buying this watch next. It's an inexpensive Chinese watch reminiscent of the Bell & Ross watches. It's pretty big - 46x46mm. :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Now I'm not a big time watch guy. In fact I own two. A G-Shock for work and a Wenger as my "dress" watch. The thing is though, I've noticed over the last few years that watch faces seem to have become huge. I don't really pay close attention to watch trends so it may go back further than that. But anyway, my question is, are we going to look back ten years from now and cringe at the size of the watches people are wearing, (they look a bit gaudy to me right now but to each his or her own) or does this mark some type of permanent shift, as permanent as fashion can be that is.

Yes they probably are. I have several in the low 40 mm range - some of them are very heavy and tend to knock into things easily. Since I wear a wtach 24/7, they can also be hard to wear in bed.

When I sourced an IWC Ingenieur earlier this year, I got the mid size ~35 mm rather than the larger much heavier full size. IWC classified this as a unisex and has discontinued making it now. I preferred it and it rounds out my collection rather than adding another heavy 40+ mm stainless steel watch. It works very well for dress or casual and of course it's nearly indestructible, so it doesn't need nursing. Overall one of my favorites.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=121060&stc=1&d=1283433411
ing2.jpg

i have also noticed the seeming influx of gargantuan watches recently. the only ones i think can pull it off well are some of the g-shocks. otherwise you're just copying this guy...

proxy.php

i have also noticed the seeming influx of gargantuan watches recently. the only ones i think can pull it off well are some of the g-shocks. otherwise you're just copying this guy...

proxy.php

:lol: I knew it'd be a matter of time before someone posted a picture of him.

An interesting question. Personally I think much of it goes back to Sylvester Stallone, Arnold primarily and a bunch of other celebrities (Hugh Grant, Ewan MacGregor, etc...) flocking to the Luminor Panerai watches. At 44mm they aren't even the largest today, but considering they use a pocket watch movement (!) they are quite large. And they remain somewhat popular but spawned a large number of makers running to larger watches. Add to that certain women pictured wearing men's watches - Uma Thurman for example, adds to the trend of men to not go back to smaller profiles.

I do think there will be something of a "backlash" or mean reversion in this regard, as there simply are a lot of men, myself included (with my 6.5" wrist) who can't comfortably wear a 46mm watch. But I suspect they will always be available.

proxy.php

I sometimes wonder if many guys who have like 6.5 inch wrists realize how ridiculous a 50mm watch looks on their wrist. To me it's like a clown watch. With most that's the limiting factor or I suppose some guys seem to like these monsters.

It's style and like everything else it will change down the road.

Occasionally I will see a guy sporting a very tightly cut suit with narrow lapels and a skinny tie with a giant watch strapped to his wrist. It just looks ridiculous.

I'm a pretty big guy and I've tried on a Panerai homage (ok, fake..whatever).
It's a really big watch and not even the biggest out there.
The bell & ross instrument watches are huge. Invicta makes some ridiculous size watches. The end result is they don't look that good on me.
(well the Panerai homage I liked a lot, but that's as big as I'd go.)
I sure hope they are not here to stay.
My watches are all regular size and I like them.

I sometimes wonder if many guys who have like 6.5 inch wrists realize how ridiculous a 50mm watch looks on their wrist. To me it's like a clown watch. With most that's the limiting factor or I suppose some guys seem to like these monsters.

It's style and like everything else it will change down the road.

+1

On the other hand, my buddy (8"+ wrist) looks like a clown wearing his 36mm Datejust. Agree with you that wrist size is the limiting factor. Most of my collection is based on the 40mm-42mm size range. Love vintage pieces, but 34mm-38mm watches just feel/look too small on my wrist.

Yes, as long as there are flashy douchebags around. I often feel that the larger the watch, the worse the personality. Panerai is my benchmark for this phenomenon.* It's one thing to wear a gigantic, insanely luminous diving watch for diving, quite another to wear it out to STK. :001_rolle

*exceptions to this rule include Omega Speedmaster wearers (but definitely does not extend to the Seamaster) and perhaps a few Breitling models. I used to include IWC pilot watches, but sadly the douches have discovered the brand.

Very good comments by everyone. I think this is a question where there is no right or wrong answer. It's the old YMMV. Personally, I prefer watches in the 36mm to 42mm range. I believe that larger womens watches are fueling the still larger men's watch fad. But let's face it, in the past women's watches were ridiculously small. Which is why we see the emergence of Uni-sex sized watches. This category satisfies the too small womens issues as well as the too large mens watch sizes. There is my two cents, probably not worth that.:lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nothing is here to stay.

Big watches will eventually go the way of disco pants and the Nehru jacket.

Big is easy. Got that covered. Next?

Is this here to stay? Well, I'm not going to wear this one out by wearing it.

manufactured to look like the Bell & Ross Instrument line. You can do a search for "Parnis" on eBay. Some of their watches have gotten decent write-ups on some of the wrist watch discussion forums.

Probably way too big for my wrist, but ME LIKEY. What is it?

Top Bottom