What's new

Traveling to the UK

Greetings all, I am indeed still alive and wet shaving. I'm going to be traveling to Greece and will be stopping in the UK for a couple of days and wanted to know if there are any wet shaving supplies I should be on the lookout for and stock up on. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

It's good to be back

Rod

Well if you're going to be in London then you'll just have to visit Taylors at 74 Jermyn Street, St James's, London. I mean it's one of the founding fathers.......:biggrin:

Can't go wrong on Jermyn Street and St. James's Street. Anyway, here are some must sees:

J Floris Ltd.
89 Jermyn Street,
London,
SW1Y 6JH

Geo F Trumper
20 Jermyn Street,
London,
SW1Y 6HP

Taylors
74 Jermyn Street,
London,
SWIY 6NP

D R Harris & Co. Ltd.
29 St. James's Street,
London,
SW1A 1HB

Truefitt & Hill
71 St James's Street,
London,
SW1A 1PH

Penhaligon's
20A Brook Street,
London,
W1K 5DE

Hi Rod

To get to the shops posted by Risky you are probably best to take a ride on the London Underground and get off at Green Park tube station. I keep meaning to do that myself but I forget each time I'm down in London.

David

I posted about this a little while back. You can go to Green Park Tube and walk to all the listed stores/dens/etc.

I'll look for the post and link to it here shortly...

...And while you're there on Jermyn Street and St. James, make sure you visit Dunhills, Davidoffs, and Robt Fox/J.J. Lewis for Gentlemens accessories and fine cigars. Stop into Che's for a drink and a smoke.

-- John Gehman

I will be traveling to London soon and I was wondering what were the best shops for shaving supplies. Taylor of Old Bond Street. What else? I would also be interested in a shaving lesson and/or a good old fashioned barbershop shave. Any ideas?

Many thanks, kc

Here's a partial list that may help you. Sorry, I don't have phone numbers for all of them, but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding them.

Cheers

Jeremy

DR Harris & Co.
29 St James Street (nearest tube, Green Park)
Mon-Fri 8:30 - 6:00 pm, Sat 9:30 - 5:00 pm

Truefitt & Hill
71 St. James Street
Mon - Fri: 8:30am - 5:30pm, Thur: 8:30am - 6:30pm, Sat: 8:30am - 5:00pm

Geo F Trumper
The Mayfair Shop
9 Curzon Street, London W1J 5HQ
Open 9am - 5.30pm Mon-Fri and 9am - 1pm Sat
+44 (0)20 7499 1850

The St. James's Shop
20 Jermyn Street
London SW1Y 6HP
+44 (0)20 7734 1370

Taylors
74 Jermyn Street, St James's,
London SWIY 6NP

Penhaligon's
20A Brook Street (corner of Brook Street and Bond Street)
London W1K 5DE
+44 (0) 20 7493 0002

16 Burlington Arcade
London
W1J 0PL
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7629 1416

I have no idea about Creed. Floris list their address as 89 Jermyn Street, but their web site mainly lists stockists.

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi KC

I can heartily recommend going to Trumpers in Mayfair to be shaved. I've been there a couple of times and received the best shave of my life! I do recommend however that you book in advance as they are usually very busy. They do also give very thorough lessons in shaving and take particular notice of your skin type (sensitive etc). Also, you find that if you've been shaved there they tend to either give you a small discount on any purchases you make or throw in some freebies!

Most of the Creed range can be purchased at Selfridges on Oxford Street.

Harrods have their own exclusive blend of Acqua di Parma (or did when I last popped in there) but it wasn't nice enough to tempt me away from the original!

I personally recommend starting the day with a shave at Trumpers and if you go to the St James shop you'll be able to walk across the park to Buckingham Palace and see the sights too!

Then go across to covent garden for lunch, see the street entertainers, and stock up in Penhaligons!

Have a wonderful trip!

Don't forget to buy some nice shirts while you're in the area!

Seriously, this is one of the BEST men's shopping areas in the world - great shaving supplies, great clothes, great shoes, great accessories - I could easily drop a couple of paycheques without breaking a sweat within this 4 - 5 block area.

You're in for a treat - even if you exercise moderation, its a wonderful experience to be able to pop in and out of so many high-end mens' shops, if only to browse.

Don't forget to stock up on samples!

Last time I went to London, I got a free glass of Single Malt (Bowmore) at Trumper's in Jermyn Street. The bottle was next to the cash register. If you see one there, politely ask, and they will let you sample it. That particular place is not in the list posted by Must Dash. It is a few stores over from TOBS and Floris towards Picadilly Circus on the other side of the street.

Have fun! Best - MM

Have a good trip, it only costs me £25 return if I get the right train, so I'm considering a London train and shopping trip this summer

Top Bottom