What's new

Less aggressive razor for sensitive skin

I've *always* had problems with skin irritation after shaving. My 40 year "shaving history" includes:

• Started with DE
  • Switched to Injector
  • Switch to (several different) electrics
  • Wore a full beard to avoid/minimize shaving
  • Started shaving with cartridges (Mach 3, fusion, shick quattro)
  • Finally back to DE (for the last four months)

During the last four months, I've honed my prep and technique, and found a good cream and blade (JM Frasers and Shark SS). I was able to get less irritation than ever before, but still not close to "zero".

Then I decided to try a "less aggressive" razor. I switched from an EJ DE86 to a Merkur 23c and found that "a little better". Then I tried a Feather Popular and found that to be much better. Lastly I've been using a Gillette slim adjustable set at 1 or 2 and find that to be a little better yet. This morning I managed a "near perfect shave" -- BBS or close to it everywhere, but zero irritation. I did have one small nick to spoil my luck.

SO: Folks with sensitive skin who struggle with irritation may do well to try a less aggressive razor.

Thats what's happening to me.
I have a very sensitive skin, on the dry side, and ive used quite a lot of razors , Merkur, Gillette, and i had a problem with irritation.
But since i got a Weishi, i get fantastic shave without irritation, i can go BBS without hacking my face up.
Maybe my technique got better , i don't know, but still, the Weishi gives me the best shave so far.
This week im suppose to get an Edwin Jagger, i will see how it goes with it.

I find old advertisements to be the most interesting part to understanding this old gear.

They made blue tips for a reason, not just marketing.

It was precisely the reputation that Weishis have for being less aggressive that I bought one when I decided to try DE razors (well, that and I figured that if it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, I'd only be out the price of a 4 pack of cartridges for a Fusion). My main reason for giving this a try was that I was tired of having irritated skin and nicks on my neck from using a multi-blade cartridge.

There are definitely times I wish the Weishi was more aggressive, but I can't complain about the lack of irritation on my neck!

Try out the Gillette Tech. I love that little thing and it was perfect for my sensitive skin. I have to make 2 or 3 passes to get a close shave, but every shave with that razor has been a safe shave.

I have sensitive skin, and a sparse wiry beard. I started with a slim adj and Red IP's and had a lot of irritation problems.

I switched to a Tech with Feathers and had less problems, but the irritation seemed to come from having to go over some spots a bunch of times to get them smooth (mostly the jawline).

I switched to an EJ DE89L a few months ago and have had even less problems, but still some. I tried the Super Iridiums for the first time 3 weeks ago and I think that I have found my combo, finally.

Let me point out, though, that it seems the cause of my irritation has been the number of passes and cleanups on spots. Oh, and blade angle and too much pressure. With a blade that is on the higher end of the sharpness scale, I find needing less passes which equals less irritation.

I guess my point is that even though the tech is less aggressive than the DE89L, I was having to go over spots more to get them smooth and that caused more irritation. Ya gotta find the balance.

As important as the razor is in delivering a less irritable shave, you cannot discount the fact that your technique is improving as well...that plays a very important role in this equation. So does your prep for that matter. As time marches on and your technique improves, go back to the more aggressive razor and what you will find (most probably) is that you still get a great, irritation-less shave.

Top Bottom