What's new

Look what I have won - comments please

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130090049074
A nice razor to start learning stroping with it
Don't you think?
What do you think about it? please let me know:)

http://213.91.177.8/photos/12-01-2006/solingenrazors/7/pic3.jpg
http://213.91.177.8/photos/12-01-2006/solingenrazors/7/pic1.jpg
http://213.91.177.8/photos/12-01-2006/solingenrazors/7/pic2.jpg

Here is what written in the EBAY site about it

From an outstanding private collection, here is an ultra rare original German ca.1920`s F. LUTZ SOHN K.G. Solingen Straight Razor in case. Blade marked 50 LUTZ CAVALIER, FRIEDRICH LUTZ SCHN Solingen - GERMANY.
Case marked with producers name and Germany.

Razor # 50.

Blade measures 75mm long x 15mm wide; case measures 6 1/2"long.

Condition: Mint condition, old stock, unused in original case!

Congrats Ead,

It looks very nice, a keeper for sure :biggrin:

YEP
For that nice low price, it can't be a bad thing
Right? and I will probably have fun time learn how to sharpen it
I guess it isn't sharp ready for my shave, right?
Also, using this before going with razors of TI and so that cost up to 10 times more is sweet, if I will ruin it I won't feel that bad at all:wink:

Were I you, I would do this:

forget the TI, send this out to Lynn or someone who knows what they are doing for honing.

Get it back, buy a good strop and look after it.

Chances are you will not get much of anything better.

Oh, and if you want to sell it, drop me a line. :c6:

Were I you, I would do this:

forget the TI, send this out to Lynn or someone who knows what they are doing for honing.

Get it back, buy a good strop and look after it.

Chances are you will not get much of anything better.

Oh, and if you want to sell it, drop me a line. :c6:

Why not trying and honing it myself? Is it that hard? wouldn't I succeed doing it?
:confused:

ead --

What you have is a very nice razor, and it would be a shame to spoil the razor while trying to learn honing. That's why they're recommending you learn honing on a cheap, common razor; then after you've gained some skill, prepare this nice razor for shaving.

-- John Gehman

EAD,

you bought the dubl duk to be a nice razor.
you bought this one as a learning to hone razor..thats the reason you did it.

so use it to learn to hone. buy yourself a norton 4k/8k combo and a finishing hone or pasted bench hone from tony miller and go at it. practice up. thats the reason you bought it.

people are saying to send it out and keep it as a good one becuase its in such nice condition. but you bought it to learn to hone, you knew that going into the buying and that was the reason. so use it for it

~J

That's a nice razor EAD. And a great price too. It's much better than the razors I used for "practice" honing. I'm sure you won't ruin it if you are carefull and you will get many years of use out of it. Congrats.

--------Michael

It's an absolute great razor at an astonishing price. You should start buying lottery tickets with that kind of luck.

Dig in with both heels and learn with it. Unless you are an absolute klutz, you are not going to ruin that razor. Just get a decent hone (Norton 4K/8K) and a good strop to start out with. Anything else is just whip cream and a cherry on top.

Read all the info on honing you can find, pay attention to what you are doing, and it will come to you without too many difficulties.

Let me tell you, it's a lot easier to hone a razor than it is to play that dad gum "Tetris" game.

I have ordered the Norton 4000/8000 and the Belgian Yellow Coticule and stoens for start it (Cotigura) and so on
Also I have ordered Lynn's DVD

Well it be good for me to sharp this little thing?
BTW
For the price I got it, is it really that good? can it get to the level of much higher prices like DOVO or TI ?!

Also, you will probably hate me for this, but I was the only one on this sale
So, I got it for it's start price:biggrin:
(I really guess you can't do better then this) - I have seen razors start with this price and get a final one of 5 - 7 times more, yep that was like taking it for allmost free:cool:

I talked with the seller - he claim that the razor is for collection, can it also be used for shaving?
I don't think he know much of shaving with it, for him it is probably only a vintage thing

Use it! That's what it was made for. And don't be afraid to learn to hone. It's not a secret art that a few select "honemeisters" were born with the innate ability to do. It's a skill and can be learned. Everybody who does it learned to do so, and so can you. Just get stuck in, it's not as if the blade is going to turn green and wobbly if you fail to recite the correct incantation before putting it to the hone!

Seriously, the whole thing of mystifying honing has to stop.

First off it's a shaver and I agree with people that say to shave with it. Sure it would be worth a bundle in a 100 years from now but who cares about that. The razor will need some work to get it shave ready. What it won't need is to much honing. Less is always better and if starting with this razor as your first you can learn the best lesson right from the start. Do not use the 4K side of hone. Maybe just a 3-6 light passes on the 8K and then 8-10 passes on the finishing hone. Strop it with a hanging strop about 50 passes then shave. If you are inexperienced with a straight razor it might be difficult to tell if the razor is keen. One good thing about having someone else hone it first is that you will have a benchmark to go by. Another method would be to get a pasted paddle strop from Tony. A razor like this should get shave ready pretty easy with one of his paddles. Do buy a few other ebay razors to practice rebuilding the bevel and so one. There is a bunch of them that make great shavers. Some just need a bit of TLC to look good. Get Bill's CD to find out how to restore them.

Glen

Ead,
I say go for it. That razor is SCREAMING for someone to shave with it. Might surprise you....
I agree with the above, don't take it right to the 4k....it might be close enough for just a touch up on the 8k and then your coticule...
I've seen quite a few sellers who think these are only for collectors. They do not know US too well, apparently.
John P.

I guess you are right
I will take it on the Norotn 8000 for 4-6 passes
Then 6-8 passes on the yellow stone
and then 20 on the linen side of the strop
and then up to 40 on the leather side of it
How does it sound?
And I am still confused if it is a good razor, I just think that you know usually you buy DOVO or TI for up to 5-10 times more!!!

The only thing I know that seem to be good here, is that the blade is a nice carbon made - probably be easy to work with, it seem in mint condition, and it made in Solingten
What else make it so good? can it achieve the same level of sharp keen edge like DOVO or TI ?!

Top Bottom