What's new

Spirit of the Month!! - September 2010 - Elijah Craig 12 year old Small Batch Bourbon

Welcome to the B&B Speakeasy Spirit of the Month!

Our selection for September 2010 will be Elijah Craig 12 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

full

Elijah Craig (b. 1740-ish, d. 1808) was a Baptist minister and pioneer that migrated to Kentucky from Virginia following the American Revolution. He is often credited as being the inventor of Bourbon even though he never distilled whiskey in what is now Bourbon County. Perhaps this distinction is due to another credit he is widely given; to be the first distiller to utilize charred casks for aging. In addition to his knowledge of the Good Book and a expertise with a still, he was a town founder, entrepreneur, and educator. An all around good guy from the sound of it.

full

But, enough with the history and on to the hooch. The small batch whiskey that Heaven Hill labels in Rev. Craig's honor is the one that successfully brought me over to American whiskey from Scotch. Elijah Craig 12 is a reasonably priced and very enjoyable bourbon. Here are some comments from a few gentleman that seem to know what they are talking about:

"About as compete as bourbon aroma as you are likely to find…one of the most beautiful noses found anywhere in the world today. A bourbon to keep in the mouth forever… Toffee apples and malt rise above the gentle oaky notes and there is a very late arrival of burnt sugar and rye. The very final notes are extremely complex… near perfection. Perhaps one of my favourite five or six bourbons and certainly the superstar in the Heaven Hill portfolio. It is a bourbon of almost unfathomable depth and has something for everyone. Brilliant."

Jim Murray
Classic Bourbon, Tennessee, & Rye Whiskey

"Rich, with balanced woody notes, spice, smoke and some nutmeg. Chewy, fruity palate and great length. A rating of four stars."

Dave Broom
Handbook of Whisky

"Nose: Real bourbon vanilla, with a touch of candy-store sweetness. Palate: Firm, malty, sweet. Some malty fruitiness (apricot?). A suggestion of cilantro. Finish: Licorice. Rooty. Comments: Less structured than might be expected in a 12-year-old, but a perilously drinkable, appetizing bourbon. Rating 7 ¾"

Michael Jackson
Whisky Magazine
There is a good chance that a bottle of this already resides in your collection. If not, a twenty dollar bill and a few ones should get you out the door with a fifth. Drink up, contemplate, and by all means share your thoughts, experiences, and opinions below as we bid summer farewell and usher in fall with this month's selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had this in quite a while, though I remember a pronounced woodiness as one of its defining characteristics, along with a respectable backbone. A solid bourbon that's not top-heavy in the pretension department. Good on Heaven Hill for delivering a consistent product at a commendable price point for almost 20 years!

I've been meaning to pick this one up. Too bad I ran out of room on my recent trip to the USVI. Most places had it for about $12-$14.

great pick for the price. I got a bottle of this free and it didn't last me long. Love the bottle. Definitely easy to enjoy, and not too expensive so you can use it for a cocktail too. Adam

Here I am chiming in on the last day again...

I don't have it in my collection, and actually went to the local liquor store, but they didn't have any 5ths in stock. I didn't really want to justify $50 for a gigantic bottle (mainly I just didn't need a gigantic bottle around) so I skipped it. Hopefully they will have 5ths back in stock soon so I can try it.

Well I never found my bottle. So I must have enjoyed it enough to finish it, but not enough to restock.

Elijah Craig - Take 2... Well I did find the bottle (hidden between 2 bottles of scotch) and it was nearly full:tongue_sm A friend and I had some with some Arturo Fuente Cuban Belicoso Sun Grown Cigars. I must have really been in the mood for bourbon and the Elijah Craig hit the spot. It was spicy and had a bit of a bite and paired well with the cigar. I will keep this is stock.

Top Bottom