What's new

Open-comb: Long teeth vs. Short teeth

I'm interested in trying an open comb razor, and it sounds like the Gillette NEW has a good reputation around here. I think I saw some that have long teeth and others with short teeth. What's the difference as far as performance goes?

I'm also curious how best to find one for sale. Searching for "Gillette New" on ebay is pretty much useless:tongue_sm

For me the difference is subtle, but I marginally prefer the short comb. Easier to shave under my nose with less comb in the way. But they are cheap and easy to get, try one of each. I think you will like them.

I have a New Improved with the long teeth and it is one of my best razors..I tried a Gillette short teeth head, and didn't get great results.

I think the long comb is slightly more aggressive. Both are on the aggressive side, however the short comb is slightly more mild. Plus I think the short looks a little less silly.

The beauty of the New type Gillette is that there were so many made you can often pick them up for under 10 dollars. They perform wonderfully, and look kind of vintage cool. I have received the better performance from the long comb variety, but you may prefer the other. Buy all means (no pun intended) get both to experience, as you may look long and hard to find a finer shave.
Russ

I have both & enjoy both.
I have not noticed any difference in performance between long or short teeth.
In any case, if the teeth are in your face leaving trailmarks, your angle is off.

So for me it's just a matter of looks.

YMMV

I'll also toss out that If you want a really nice one, CooncatBob sells them with his wonderful handles. If you don't mind spending a little extra coin, this might be the way to go.

I have never tried the short combs. The long combs are my favorite.

+1 on Bob’s razors. They are functional works of art.

Yeah, CooncatBob's are really beautiful. They're what got me interested in the first place. I thought I might try one on the cheap before jumping in and getting a nice one from him.

Yeah, CooncatBob's are really beautiful. They're what got me interested in the first place. I thought I might try one on the cheap before jumping in and getting a nice one from him.

I did exactly that, and just ordered my CCB. After a friend gets done with it, I may send my cheap New (bad plating, one bent tooth cracked handle) on a PIF tour to people who want to try a New.

Top Bottom