What's new

Newbie confused!

:huh: Just when I thought I was understanding the process, I have a good shave with a combo I had written off. It was my third shave with the SS and 7 O'Clock -green and the first two were not so great. I have been trying to keep the variables to a minimum, just changing blades between 2 razors. I have been keeping the prep and shaving process and after shave routine constant. Why would the third shave be so much better?
I am no expert in the technique dept. but I have tried to lather and shave carefully, I really don't think that part has changed.
I also don't want to go thru 2 bad shaves to have one good one!
Your Thoughts?

Thanks,

Gene

I think at first it takes a while before your muscle memory gets in the right groove, so you just have to be patient with that. I would suggest staying with one razor so you eliminate that variable in your routine. I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes the first shave from a blade is not as good as subsequent shaves, so that may be a factor too. Also, have you used any other blades? I am not a fan of the 7 o'clock greens.

I have used:

Crystals:thumbdown
Shark Chrome:thumbup1:
Derby
7 O'clock ss

Haven't decided on the Derby's or 7 O clocks yet.

I have many more brands in my sample pack to try.

I just am surprised about the difference between 1st and 3rd shave!

Thanks,
Gene

Did you hit the green the 3rd time you swung a golf club?
This is learning process, and you need to be patient with yourself as you develop the new skills needed. As long as you pay attention to the fundamentals and learn something from every bad shave you'll progress quickly.

I have used:

Crystals:thumbdown
Shark Chrome:thumbup1:
Derby
7 O'clock ss

Haven't decided on the Derby's or 7 O clocks yet.

I have many more brands in my sample pack to try.

I just am surprised about the difference between 1st and 3rd shave!

Thanks,
Gene

If I may suggest, try to stick to one blade for a couple weeks at least--I think the Sharks are great, and an awesome value. Then I think your shaves will vary less. I think even the guys that have been doing this for years still get a bad shave now and then.

Just keep practicing and don't get too discouraged when you have a bad shave or two. Bad shaves happen to all of us. I concur that you should stick with the same blade for several blades because right now you are developing the muscle memory that will be second nature in future shaves.

When I first started I tried out the Sharks and 7 o'clock yellow ultra sharps midway through my sampler and had terrible shaves. Things like Derbys and Personna reds and other medium-sharp blades were doing much better. Once my technique improved on a bunch of medium blades (with just the Gillettes thrown in the middle), I tried the Feathers and got a great shave.

Point is, maybe the 7 o'clocks are too sharp for you right now, but once they start to dull a little bit, they do great. Try some Derbys and Personnas and Astras and Dorcos.

I also noticed that another blade, maybe the Dorcos, were tugging and hurting a lot on the first shave, but second day they were fine. I've read that this can be due to irregularities in the blade that get smoothed out as you use the blade. You can prevent this by "corking" the blade. Just gently "slice" into a Styrofoam packing peanut and that should correct it.

Did you hit the green the 3rd time you swung a golf club?

Bad shaves happen to all of us.

Both excellent observations. In fact let's stick with the golf analogy. Golfing is a game, IMO, of character where the most difficult opponent is yourself. How you recover from hacking through the rough, accept a horrendous slice, deal with standing on the tee of a shot across water that always costs you a lost ball. Some can't and curse and flail their way along and don't record their full number of shots. Others have it in them to smile, say 'that's unfortunate' and continue. Golfing and DE shaving are both voluntary activities. Even the best of us have off days and even the worst of us occasionally get it right and that encourages us to keep going. Your good shaves will increase in frequency. If I'd been able to play golf daily my handicap might have started to improve!

You will find that with time and practice your technique will improve.

I know when I first got back to DE shaving my first shaves were just OK - but I got a lot of irritation around my neck. I thought everything was going OK for a while and then everything went down hill. For me the cause was putting too much pressure on the razor - without realizing it.

Some of the advice above is right on. Stick to one razor and one blade for a while. If you can only get two shaves with a blade, so be it. Just get your technique down right.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It's starting to get together...

You are switching the same brand of blade between 2 razors? I would try to keep one brand of blade with the same razor for as long as I can...

Top Bottom