What's new

Witch Hazel and/or Alum Block

Still a newbie, but getting good DE shaves every day after a few weeks.

Looks like there have been a few posts on alum blocks in the last few days. I have a slightly different question.

I got a $15.00 gift card with free shipping from AOS (in the mail,unsolicited). I decided to get their alum block, which they list for $18.00. With the free shipping and card, I got it delivered to the house for $3.

I read the wiki here (which recommends both alum and witch hazel), but I am wondering if applying alum and then witch hazel is redundant. They are both astringents. Are both beneficial when used together?

I have used the alum block a couple of times. It really has an interesting, slick cool feel when I apply it. I like it. I rinse it off after a minute or two and complete the post shave stuff.

I usually apply an AS after the shave, and some unscented aloe at the very end.

Do you more experienced hands use both witch hazel and alum?

Thanks in advance

My everyday routine: shave, warm rinse, cold rinse, alum, witch hazel, cold rinse, AS. Do whatever you want, there is no right or wrong.

Alum block for me. I don't use witch hazel for much. If I need extra care, a good aftershave or balm, like Proraso, is what I use.

There is no wrong or right, just do what works for you.

As for myself: Warm rinse, cold rinse, alum, cold rinse, Osage Rub menthol splash, then Nivea ASB. Not all of this is strictly necessary, I just like to do it.

Great shave = warm rinse (sometimes), cold rinse, AS.

Good shave = warm rinse, cold rinse, Alum (or Witch Hazel), AS.

Fair shave = warm rinse, cold rinse, Alum, Witch Hazel, AS

Poor shave = warm rinse, cold rinse, cold rinse, Alum, Styptic, Witch Hazel

For me, only Thayers Rose Petal WH. Alum block irritates me and dries out my face.

But as always, YMMV.

I always use Thayers Rose or lavender WH, then styptic pencil if needed.

The WH just feels so darn good.

For the first 11 months of this style of shaving, I used witch hazel alone. Now I use both. Witch hazel followed by alum block. I let the alum dry - I do not rinse it off - and then I apply AS.

Witch Hazel for me... I have only used an Alum block once, when I first started and found that it did dry my face a little too much for my liking.

I really like the alum block.

In the winter: shave, rinse, alum block, rinse, witch hazel, balm

In the summer: shave, rinse, alum block, rinse, AS Splash

I've never used an alum block, so I don't really know what I'm missing ... but from what I've read about it, I don't think its for me.

I use Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel, both before lathering and after the shave ... I splash it on generously and apply it not just to my beard area, but all over my face, behind the neck, up and over the ears, and while its drying on my face, I rub my hands with it.

I've never liked the sting of an alcohol based splash, but by mixing it 1:1 with Thayers, it greatly reduces the burning feeling. Thayer's also helps balm to spread easier, and it absorbs quicker into my skin and dries considerably faster than if I just use the balm by itself.

I use Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel, both before lathering and after the shave ... I splash it on generously and apply it not just to my beard area, but all over my face, behind the neck, up and over the ears, and while its drying on my face, I rub my hands with it.

So, the Thayers is part of your pre-shave procedure ?
That's very interesting, and I just might give it a try cause I love the stuff.

So, the Thayers is part of your pre-shave procedure ?
That's very interesting, and I just might give it a try cause I love the stuff.
Yup ... I tried it on a whim about a year ago. It worked so well that I continued to use it pre- and post-shave ever since.

Some people apply it with a cotton ball or washcloth. I just splash it on and rub it in by hand, about a teaspoon's worth at a time.

Top Bottom