What's new

Single Edge Blade Difference....

Is there a difference between the Treet blades I use and the cheap SE blades sold in hardware stores such as Lowes?

I've been shaving with an SE for quite some time but I only use the Treet blade.

The hardware store blades are a heck of lot cheaper though...

Ray

Last edited:
Single-edge blades made for SHAVING have a sharper, smoother, and more precise grind. The Treet blades (from American Safety Razor) are a simple carbon steel, but do provide a smooth shave, although without a great deal of blade life due to carbon steel's tendency to rust. Stainless Steel blades, available under the GEM brand (also made by ASR) last longer but in my experience are not as smooth on the face as the carbon steel Treets.

SE blades made for UTILITY use (hardware store) will turn your face into severely irritated hamburger . . . :mad5:

Gem, Ever-Ready, and Star single-edge razors are among the best shaving tools ever produced . . . :001_wub: They give their best shaves when paired with properly sharpened blades designed for shaving.

By the way Brad...after every shave I wash the blade first with water, pat it dry and then dip it in alcohol. This prevents rusting for quite a number of shaves.

Ray

By the way Brad...after every shave I wash the blade first with water, pat it dry and then dip it in alcohol. This prevents rusting for quite a number of shaves.

Ray

Another Ray that uses SEs? This is bad news for the space-time continuum. :lol::lol::lol:

My problem with Treets, besides the rusting part, is they dull too fast against my beard. I get one great shave and one decent shave, if I try for a third it's not pretty. Blue Star GEM blades are reportedly even worse in the rusting department. Have you tried any of the blades with store brands? Many of the grocery stores in this area market their own SE blades, which are still made by ASR.

Thanks Brad. So what you're saying is stick with the Treets for a smoother shave?

Ray

Yes, unless you feel you don't get your money's worth out of them due to the edge degradation, or if you find that the performance of a stainless blade is better for you. As is often stated here at B&B, YMMV!! The original question concerned using utility blades . . . which can't be recommended. :thumbdown

Ray

An alcohol dip is never a bad thing, unless you are a liver. :tongue_sm

My biggest issue with rusting is not so much with the blade that I am using, but with the ones left in the pack . . . in the bathroom . . . with all the moisture in there! Since I don't exclusively use my SE (it rotates with three Gillettes and a Schick) the last blade in the 10-pack MIGHT give me one reasonable shave! Stainless or coated blades hold up better in that regard, but I haven't found them to be as smooth on my face.

Another Ray that uses SEs? This is bad news for the space-time continuum. :lol::lol::lol:

My problem with Treets, besides the rusting part, is they dull too fast against my beard. I get one great shave and one decent shave, if I try for a third it's not pretty. Blue Star GEM blades are reportedly even worse in the rusting department. Have you tried any of the blades with store brands? Many of the grocery stores in this area market their own SE blades, which are still made by ASR.

I'm the blond-haired son of a redhead . . . no tough beard here, so I don't share that problem!

ASR makes all the SE blades that I have seen marketed in my area, including some utility blades at the hardware store as well as Lowes. From a manufacturing standpoint, I can't imagine they would have different blades for each brand or private label, outside of the different type of blade (stainless vs carbon) or intended use (shaving vs utility.)

I'm the blond-haired son of a redhead . . . no tough beard here, so I don't share that problem!

ASR makes all the SE blades that I have seen marketed in my area, including some utility blades at the hardware store as well as Lowes. From a manufacturing standpoint, I can't imagine they would have different blades for each brand or private label, outside of the different type of blade (stainless vs carbon) or intended use (shaving vs utility.)

:lol: I'm not really sure if there is anyone at all that makes SE blades besides ASR/Personna, at least I have not been able to find any.

Top Bottom