What's new

Dim Sum

I love dim sum! Hawaii is full of great dim sum restaurants, and are very close to authentic. However, I have yet to see a whole roasted suckling pig (baby version), turtle soup, and all the other tasty "delicacies" in one of the restaurants.

p.s. Not a fan of chicken's feet.

Dim sum is great! While I did not have roasted pig at dim sum, my wife's family is Filipino and had a whole roasted pig at a picnic last weekend...yum...they actually used to live in HI...

deep fried haw gaw (shrimp dumplings) with mayo so good

and most of you will hate this but
deep fried dumplings filled with DURIAN mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

cow tendons and stomach =D

The first Hop Sing by Chatham Sq used to be my fave. Then it went downhill. Now it's "renovating" (they normally do this to change names to avoid back taxes and when it goes wrong for them, they close outright)

Dim sum rules - one of my favourite Chinese foods.

I'm lucky in that there's a great dim sum place about 5 minutes from work - its amazing how something so small and dainty can be used to stuff yourself silly.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Dim sum rules - one of my favourite Chinese foods.

I'm lucky in that there's a great dim sum place about 5 minutes from work - its amazing how something so small and dainty can be used to stuff yourself silly.

Jim, Scott, and I may hit Chinatown next week. We'll have to have some pork and crab buns in your honor. :thumbup1:

I think I owe Scott a Wo Hop t-shirt, too. :tongue_sm

Dim sum rules.

I haven't found a place in Orlando that I really love, but typically enjoy going to Ho Ho Choy in Tampa (by USF) when I'm in that neck of the woods. They do a dim sum menu instead of the cart but it is always very good.

I haven't found a place in Orlando that I really love, but typically enjoy going to Ho Ho Choy in Tampa (by USF) when I'm in that neck of the woods. They do a dim sum menu instead of the cart but it is always very good.

Tampa has very good dim sum! Definitely better than anything in eastern NC. NC is a dim sum desert.

I don't even know the name of my favorite dim sum restaurant (my Chinese inlaws take me there when I am in town!), but it is my favorite place to eat in the entire world, and I have eaten many delicious things in many far-away places. It is in a small shopping center which also contains a small Chinese bakery, with tasty sweet things.

I love it all - seu mai, ha gao, crispy pork, soup dumplings, bird's nest, coconut jelly, dark tea with chrysanthemum, seafood soup, and the billion other things they dump on the lazy susan that I have no names for.

THE BEST FOOD. EVER.

Tampa has very good dim sum! Definitely better than anything in eastern NC. NC is a dim sum desert.

I don't even know the name of my favorite dim sum restaurant (my Chinese inlaws take me there when I am in town!), but it is my favorite place to eat in the entire world, and I have eaten many delicious things in many far-away places. It is in a small shopping center which also contains a small Chinese bakery, with tasty sweet things.

I love it all - seu mai, ha gao, crispy pork, soup dumplings, bird's nest, coconut jelly, dark tea with chrysanthemum, seafood soup, and the billion other things they dump on the lazy susan that I have no names for.

THE BEST FOOD. EVER.

Chrysanthemum tea? Bah! If it ain't Bo-lay it ain't worth drinking with dim sum.

I was in DC fishing with my brother in law last weekend and we decided to have dim sum for brunch on Sunday at Oriental East. If you have ever been there, they have a line around the corner to get in at 10:30, they open at 11am. It was awesome. So when I got back to Richmond, I took my wife to one of two dim sum places here, it was okay but not as good as Oriental
East. When I have a day off, I'm going to take her to the OTHER one...a little closer to our house.

Scared to try the chicken feet though.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Here we go, proper dim sum thread without a dim sum recipe!

I need to find a way to make dim sum dough without gluten (rice paper it might be but if I can find a recipe that will cut it, I might as well do that).

Stuffing, it seems that a prawn or pork stuffing is the regular thing. If you have any other ideas, please share.

Agreed, Luc. For those of us in dim sum deserts, we need to be able to make our own. I have a friend who used to come to our house to make it for us (and we'd watch old kung fu movies after... from the homeland... well... his homeland). But he's moved to Georgia and joined the Air Force. He never did teach me.

Wifey is Chinese and she will not make it. But in fairness, we live within 10 minutes of a very vey good DIMSUM place and several others are within 20 minutes. We do it at least twice a month.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
All right, success!

The dim sums were steamed with a mixture of minced pork, green onions, garlic, galangal(I thought I had ginger but I didn't), salt, pepper, tamari and rice wine vinegar. We didn't go 100% traditional.

Those were pretty awesome. I made the dough as most wonton papers are made of wheat and my other half needs gluten free.

I was surprised to find a recipe that worked well.

1 cup of rice flour
3/4 cup of tapioca flour
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of oil
around 12 tablespoons of boiled water.

I added everything in the kitchenaid mixer with a bit of water at the time. It was fairly easy.

I had my stuffing ready so I pressed the little pieces of dough with my tortilla press. Closed them and steamed them right away. I made too many so I put the extra on parchemin paper and froze them. This morning I took those out and sealed them in the sous vide to keep them fresher.

Top Bottom