What's new

Blade Sample Pack - Blade Review by a newb final report

Ok Guys

As a reminder

Been at this since March, and working through a sampler pack, I use all 5 blades of the same kind before trying a new kind. here are the results so far:

First Blade: Derby

The cheap and cheerfull turkish blades have had there run of bad press about blade consistency. I can agree with this, I used a pack of 5 (15 shaves worth) and can say some great shavers and some dreadfull ones, last blade was used for 2 shaves then binned.

Second Blade: Astra's

Durability: 3 shaves maximum for me (Heavy Growth)
Smoothness: 1st shave amazing, 2nd shave good, 3rd only just acceptable
Sharpness: Shave 1 and 2 great 3 passes wtg, xtg and atg 3rd only wtg

Overall a good blade for shaves 1 and 2, 3 not so good.

3rd Blade Iridiums

These are a strange blade, sharper and more durable than the Astra's however they dont feel as smooth somehow. Bizzare thing is that although it feels not as smooth as the Astra I didnt have any irritation or nicks at all with them. For me best blade so far, Sharpest most durable blade so far fo me, 3 really good shaves per blade with acceptable for the 4th shave and probably could have went further.

So far my favourite blade

4th Blade - Personna Reds

Looking at the review I did of the Iridiums I need to say that I cannot really find any difference between the iridiums and the Personna Reds, in fact thats a lie, the personnas are probably a bit more duarable and would last a shave or 2 longer. Apart from that if we did the pepsi challenge with blades, in a blind shave challenge I wouldnt be able to pick single them out. So far iridium and personna reds would be my go to blades.

5th Blade - Feathers.

The ninja sharp assassin as its well known, I cannot get on with this blade at all, its sharp thats undoubted, but for me it gave me things that none of them did apart from the Derby when my technique was no good. I am talking of irritation, nicks and cuts not anything I have had in a long while. I would say that the Astra's, Personna reds and Iridiums are all just as sharp but for me deliver superior results. For me feathers did not provide a comfortable shave nor an enjoyable one. I only used 2 out of the Feathers that I had.

6th Blade - Super Platinums (Crystals)

Reading this forum and other sites, these blades seem to be made in the same factory as the personna reds that are made in israel, although the question remains are they actually the same blade under a different name?
I cannot distinguish between these and the israel made red pack personnas, see the review of the 2 paragraphs above. A great blade and this as well as the Personna reds are my go to blades!!!

7th and last blade in the pack Gillette 7 o clock supersharp

Wasnt sure what I was expecting with this blade, for some reason I thought it would be a poor blade. I was proven wrong I would say, Sharp and smooth but not as durable as some of the other blades I have tested in this sampler pack.

Overall rankings in order of preference

1. Israel Red personnas / Super platinums (Crystals) cannot find the edge between them ( I have 200 of the Reds now)
3. Iridiums
4. Astras
5. Gillette 7 o clock supersharp (yellow)
6. Feathers (Sorry ninjas I jsut didnt get on)
7. Derby

Thanks for reading

Thanks for posting this. It's always interesting to see reviews where the author has been methodical about testing competing products.

Great post; thanks for sharing the great information you've been able to collect. I'm still working through a sampler pack; wish I had kept notes as well as you have.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This is a good example of YMMV!

my #1 would be Astra, then 7oclock yellow, personna, feathers, iridium and derby...

Good post!

Top Bottom