What's new

Mergress Owners: Your Experience

I have been using my newly modified Mergress for about one week. Much to my surprise the shave I am getting is somewhat different - and better - than when it was a Progress.

First, I could never go beyond 2+ on any pass without getting irritation or nicks. Now I can go to 4 with no problem at all. Leads me to believe the settings on the Progress may have been out of whack.

Second, I seem to be getting closer shaves now. In the past I needed four passes to get a BBS - now three on my cheeks are all that is needed and I not longer have to go ATG on my cheeks. (I still need a fourth ATG pass on my mustache area and neck.)

Any of you Mergress owners notice any difference in your razor?

I don't have a Progress, but I have read that there's no standard for the settings. What is a 2 on one, might be a 4 on another. There's just no consistency.

yeah but unless you own 2 or more - does it really matter? Bottom line is the thing shaves. :001_cool: As with most razors, the whole YMMV thing is really the determing factor with the progress.

I have the mergress but have nothing to compare it to with regard to the progress as I got it already modified.

I do know that it is a great shaver and I love the weight - my only wish for it would be a TTO and open comb...any custom makers want to give a stab at this one :)

The only change I noticed was the extra weight. I get good shaves from both and I didn't need to adjust the settings when I moved from one to the other.

So is the extra cost for the Mergress worth it, in your opinion?

In my view, yes - I found the balance much better with the Mergress modification (I have the standard length Progress with the standard Mergress knob).

The real issue is whether you get a good Progress head - some of them have uneven blade exposure - but that's a Merkur issue and has nothing to do with whether its been modified.

I owned a Mergress and liked it a lot. Only sold it to finance a new object of an acquisition disorder...

What I found with the Progress (or the Mergess modification) is that it is sensitive to how the adjustment knob is assembled. It can be just a little loose and you will get a rattle inside the handle, and consequently it is more aggressive and erratic than it should be.
When Mr. Mergress puts his magic to it and sets it just right/snugly, it is as you describe: A smooth shaver with much more precise adjustment.
My experience anyway.

JR

In my view, yes - I found the balance much better with the Mergress modification (I have the standard length Progress with the standard Mergress knob).

The real issue is whether you get a good Progress head - some of them have uneven blade exposure - but that's a Merkur issue and has nothing to do with whether its been modified.

I have a Progress - no mods made. How would I know if I had a badly manufactured Progress head?

Thanks...

I have a Progress - no mods made. How would I know if I had a badly manufactured Progress head?

Thanks...

My experience was that it wasn't an issue with the head itself, only the adjustment. That is, I had uneven and erratic blade exposure until the razor was adjusted properly. That same head worked perfectly once the adjustment knob was installed snugly.

JR

So is the extra cost for the Mergress worth it, in your opinion?

+1 Suzuki.
Didn't have problems before the conversion and did it really for cosmetics.
works great now and looks better.
I really like a feather with this. something about the weight and that blade that works well for me.

Top Bottom