What's new

SGT Wakeman Bay Rum Spice Aftershave

Hello everybody that is in to Bay Rum aftershave. I have put together ingredients to make a Bay Rum aftershave and I have pulled ingredients from several Barber books that have recipes dating from the late 1800's to the early 1900's and have incorporated these ingredients to come up with my own version of Bay Rum spice aftershave. So the ingredients that you see below were actually part of a vintage recipe in a Barber's book. I used sailor Jerry spiced rum but one of the old recipes just said to use 92 proof spiced rum and did not give a product name. I call my aftershave; "Sergeant Wakeman Bay Rum Spice Aftershave" I have used this aftershave on myself every day for 4 months with no allergic reaction. It quickly heals any irritations caused by a razor. I wanted to make something that would not Sting real bad like alcohol-based Bay Rums and that is why I have used witch hazel as the main ingredient. I have got lots of good compliments on the smell of my aftershave.The fragrance will usually last about an hour on me. I wanted to share my recipe with everyone because it is good working recipe. Enjoy.

Put ingredients in a 20 ounce jar with lid.

16 ounces of witch hazel
3 tablespoons of Sailor Jerry 92 proof spiced rum
¾ teaspoon of bay rum essential oil (Pimenta Racemosa)
1 teaspoon of Glycerin
2 cinnamon sticks (broke up into pieces)
¾ teaspoon of Jamaican allspice
1 teaspoon of cloves
¾ teaspoon of Valencia orange peel
1 teaspoon of Pimento (diced Pimientos)

Shake once a day for two weeks, strain contents 4 times with coffee filters and pour into an appropriate dispensing bottle with small hole.

What's an Army man doing using Sailor Jerry's Rum? I'd keep that under wraps if I were you (soak the label off). My goodness, I don't want this to end up as Chief Petty Officer Wakeman's Bay Rum! :tank:

Otherwise, sounds like a great recipe!

Last edited:
BCatl, All the good Rum was drank up LOL. A Navy comrade of mine brought that over to my home last Christmas to put in eggnog, it is his stash from when he comes over , so I used what I had in the cupboard. I don't know if you are familiar with the real sailor Jerry AKA Norman K. Collins, he was an old-school tattoo artist and tattooed all the servicemen. After his death, friends found the recipe to a spiced rum in sailor Jerry "Norman Collin's" belongings, which later became the base that created Sailor Jerry Rum. They made a documentary on him. I have several comrades from the Army,Navy, Air Force,and Marines, my son-in-law is a ex-Marine. we all drink from the same well and we are all tattooed up.

As you know, I was having a little fun with you. Very interesting story about Norman Collins and the history of the rum. Thanks for passing this AS recipe along that you developed, as it sounds like a good one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom