What's new

Homemade Shave Oil

It's been suggested that I try a shave oil to see if it helps with my prep. Does anyone have a homemade recipe that I could try?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You can use olive oil. It won't smell as good as a commercial pre-shave oil because it won't have any essential oils but it will work the same!

I tried caster oil and olive (about half and half) and I found it to thick. My razor got clogged up. A 2/1 ratio might be better though, YMMV.

If you are looking into it as a pre-shave then olive oil will probably work. You can also try jobjoba oil or vitamin E oil. You could also just try Shave Secret, which should be good on it's own or as a prep.

I followed Leisureguy's recipe and modified it as follows:
2 parts Almond oil, 2 parts Avocado oil, 2 parts Olive oil, 1 part Grapeseed oil, 1 part Kukui nut oil, 1 part Coconut oil, 1-2 drops essential oil - I have lavender and sandalwood - very nice! I have some extra, and can make you a batch if you're in Continental US, send me a small bottle,etc., and I'll send you some.

I used a 3:1 mixture of safflower oil:almond oil... it's very very light and absorbs into the skin readily (the ratio of unsaturated fats in the safflower oil is the closest to that of your skin moreso than any other oil) and the almond oil makes it smell nice... also for preshave prep, I find the best way to not get your razor to clog, or even have to worry about the oil interacting with anything: put it on 15-20 minutes before a shave. This means if you shave in the morning say your routine is shower, prep, shave... put a healthy amount of oil (I'd say a teaspoon or so) on your face BEFORE you shower, and avoid getting too much water on your face until the end of your shower, and then prep normally and shave.

The earlier you put on the oil, the more is absorbed directly into the skin, and the less coats your hair and razor. I shave mid-day, so I usually apply a small amount of oil to my face after I shower, and then when I get home from work/school about half an hour before I shave

Top Bottom