What's new

"New Yardley" Pure Vegetable Soap vs. Tallow "moisturizing bar"

After much reading on this forum, I've decided to get into using proper soaps instead of shower gels and detergent "bath bars" which are, apparently, not "true" soaps.

I was just in Pathmark and I saw two different types of Yardley bath soaps--one is marked Yardley Natural Soap, is all vegetable based, and does not seem to have any detergents. It also calls itself "soap", which most of the detergent type bars don't. I bought two of these--Honeysuckle & Citrus, and Lavender Wisteria. Both of these smell great. The ingredients for the Honeysuckle and Citrus one are: Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Water, Palm Kernel Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Palm Oil Fatty Acid, Fragrance, Salt, Shea Butter & Sunflower Oil Blend, Orange Peel, Jojoba Oil, Bergamot Extract, Grapefruit Extract, Certified Organic Honey, Certified Organic Shea Butter, Vitamin C, Natural Essential Oil, Mineral & Color Pigments, Stabilizers.

The other bar made by Yardley is tallow based, but has a lot of ingredients in it that may be detergents (I'm not quite sure myself--I'm new to this). It doesn't call itself soap, but rather a "moisturizing" bar. I didn't buy it because I thought it might be a detergent rather than a true soap. Here are the ingredients for the Lavender version: Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Water (Aqua), Fragrance (Parfum), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Acid, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)..

Did I make the right choice? Is the second one (the "moisturizing bar") a detergent rather than a soap?

Thanks all. I'm new to the whole proper soap thing and just curious.

Last edited:
To my reading of the ingredients, they're both soaps.

I have used their tallow soap in the past, and it is very nice.

The new bars sound like they're trying to attract a different crowd; no tallow, more essential oils and botanical ingredients, etc.

I'd say either would have been a good choice. Enjoy your soaps!

The moisturising bar contains Petrolatum, which is better known as Vaseline, is a petrochemical additive. The bar already has Glycerin, but maybe is replacing the addition of more by adding the cheaper petrochemical.

Thanks for the responses, gents. I've also started using shampoo bars. Do you think these soaps (particularly the vegetable ones I bought) would make good shampoo bars? I see a lot of the same ingredients between these Yardley soaps and the shampoo bar I purchased from www.prairielandherbs.com.

They contain a bit too much for me as I only use Aleppo Soap, which is Olive Oil, Laurel Oil, water and probably pot ash/sea salt or Sodium Hydroxide.

Top Bottom