What's new

Switching Soaps Daily Bad for Skin?

Hello gents, looking for a few thoughts. I've got three different shave soaps: Old Spice tallow, C&M triple milled, and Ogallala glycerin.

I've been changing them daily because I like the different lather and scents, but I've started to get more acne than I've had for years. I'm 37, so I don't think this is an issue of late onset puberty.

Do you think it could be because I'm switching soaps too often and it is irritating my skin? My wife thinks I should pick a soap and stick with it for a week.

Thoughts?

Many of us have way more than 3 soaps in our rotations :biggrin1: I have never noticed a problem though. Every face is different though you could be sensitive in some way to one of the soaps

Are you finishing with some cold water, an astringent (alum, witchahazle, etc), and a good protective aftershave balm? You could be leaving your skin open to infections if your not taking proper care.

I use a different soap or cream virtually every day. Vegetable, tallow, or glycerin and have never had an issue.

It could be one of them irritating your skin, and with changing every day you use the one causing problems often enough that there isn't time to heal. It could also be shaving technique.

You might also want to try sterilizing your gear – it's possible that you have some kind of bacteria on your razor or brush that you keep re-introducing to your face. The razor is easy, quick dip in rubbing alcohol and let it dry. The brush, not so sure, but if you search the forums I'm sure you'll easily find a thread.

Hello gents, looking for a few thoughts. I've got three different shave soaps: Old Spice tallow, C&M triple milled, and Ogallala glycerin.

I've been changing them daily because I like the different lather and scents, but I've started to get more acne than I've had for years. I'm 37, so I don't think this is an issue of late onset puberty.

Do you think it could be because I'm switching soaps too often and it is irritating my skin? My wife thinks I should pick a soap and stick with it for a week.

Thoughts?

I've got 4 soaps 2 creams in my rotation.
What is your Post shave routine and what do you use?

I've learned that something with alcohol either witch hazel or an after shave splash will act as a disinfectant which helps the skin. Let us know.

I have used a combination for the same reason, it actually works better for me, some more drying, others more moisturizing. Better combination of characteristics. However, that doesn't mean a couple of the soaps are not having negative effects on you. Soaps today use quite a few chemicals, who knows how a combination might effect your skin. You might try dropping one out for a while see what happens, and so on. Or try different scents with basically same soap? Just keep experimenting, and keep a log, or journal and see if there is a trend. Make sure everything is thoroughly cleaned after you shave, and everything dries completely before next use. Other suggestions are good, splash cold water on face until soap is washed off, proper sepsis for any cuts. I'm sure you'll narrow it down! :thumbup: Then your wife will be back to her old self again. :tongue_sm Oh, one possibility, don't shave in opposite direction of hair grain, only sideways. They could be ingrown hairs not acne, the combination of soaps is possibly allowing a closer shave. Good luck.:thumbup1:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have probably 30 different products in rotation - soaps and creams and have never had an issue.

I have 9 products I rotate and have never had a problem. However, if I use a balm more than like twice a week, my skin gets too greasy and I get acne issues. With splashes, I have no problems. Take a look at the rest of your shave gear too, you may have a similar issue.

I use the same soap or creams for a week in my rotation to really enjoy the product and its effects. I personally don't think you get the entire effects of the moisturizing ingredients out of just one day of use. Also in your case you can narrow down what ingredients may be effecting your problem.

Not that the soaps you're using are bad but I would look at the ingredients and see which main ingredients are similar. Try soaps with lanolin and tallow, those are great on my face and always moisturizing. I haven't used Institut Karite in a long time but it is a great soap and very moisturizing because of shea butter it has in it.

In this case as in most of my situations, the wife is right....again.

I have a lot of different soaps and creams and I it's all good for me. You may have an allergic reaction to one of the soaps for whatever reason or it may just have nothing to do with the any of them. Use each one for a week or so to see of the problem persists.

If there is a problem I am willing to be it's an issue with the scent.

I would also recommend using each soap for a few days. If you are having a problem with a certain ingredient if should become evident quickly. I use a different soap or cream everyday and occasionally have a problem with a specific product. When I do I slow my rotation down to identify the offender. I guess I have been lucky as my few problems have with aftershave's or balm's.

Many of us have way more than 3 soaps in our rotations :biggrin1: I have never noticed a problem though. Every face is different though you could be sensitive in some way to one of the soaps

Are you finishing with some cold water, an astringent (alum, witchahazle, etc), and a good protective aftershave balm? You could be leaving your skin open to infections if your not taking proper care.

My finishing routine is to rinse with warm water, use an alum block (let it rest for a minute or so), rinse with cold water, finish with Proraso Pre-Post mixed with a splash of witch hazel. I think one of the soaps must be the culprit only because when I was using creams (classicshaving lavender and Proraso) I did not have this issue.

You might also want to try sterilizing your gear –.it's possible that you have some kind of bacteria on your razor or brush that you keep re-introducing to your face. The razor is easy, quick dip in rubbing alcohol and let it dry. The brush, not so sure, but if you search the forums I'm sure you'll easily find a thread.

Good thought, I may try that.

I use the same soap or creams for a week in my rotation to really enjoy the product and its effects. I personally don't think you get the entire effects of the moisturizing ingredients out of just one day of use. Also in your case you can narrow down what ingredients may be effecting your problem.

Not that the soaps you're using are bad but I would look at the ingredients and see which main ingredients are similar. Try soaps with lanolin and tallow, those are great on my face and always moisturizing. I haven't used Institut Karite in a long time but it is a great soap and very moisturizing because of shea butter it has in it.

In this case as in most of my situations, the wife is right....again.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give it a try. And yes, my wife is right a very high percentage of the time. :biggrin1:

I have 9 products I rotate and have never had a problem. However, if I use a balm more than like twice a week, my skin gets too greasy and I get acne issues. With splashes, I have no problems. Take a look at the rest of your shave gear too, you may have a similar issue.

That's interesting what you mention about splash v. balm, it is not a factor I had considered. Thanks.

I have a lot of different soaps and creams and I it's all good for me. You may have an allergic reaction to one of the soaps for whatever reason or it may just have nothing to do with the any of them. Use each one for a week or so to see of the problem persists.

If there is a problem I am willing to be it's an issue with the scent.

I think you may be on to something when you mentioned scent, two of the soaps have a heavier scent than anything I have previously used.

I have many soaps and creams in my rotation and fortunately have not experienced any ill effects on my face...now my wallet...well that is a topic for another time.
I agree with those that say to stay with one for a week or so (or less if you discover it is the obvious culprit) to isolate the offending soap. It may well be that your problem is not your shaving routine at all but something else such as diet that is causing your skin eruptions. I don't know where you are but I have known folks that break out similarly in hot weather.

Good luck,

Doug

My finishing routine is to rinse with warm water, use an alum block (let it rest for a minute or so), rinse with cold water, finish with Proraso Pre-Post mixed with a splash of witch hazel. I think one of the soaps must be the culprit only because when I was using creams (classicshaving lavender and Proraso) I did not have this issue.

Acne takes a little while to develop compared to an allergic reaction to an ingredient in a soap or cream, which can happen almost instantly; thus its hard to accurately attribute one product to the cause of acne.
Personally, I noticed I'd get acne flare-ups after using products I left on my skin, like certain aftershaves. I think you're using too many variables, so try simplifying your aftershave routine to maybe using witch hazel and maybe one other oil-free aftershave product.

Top Bottom