What's new

Where do you buy your ties?

I'm a laywer. I bought fifty diffrent Star Wars ties on eBay. I like to wear my darkside ties when I have to get hard assed with the opposition:mad3:. Jedi ties are are when meeting new clients If I wear a suit that day.

I received four ties from www.thetiebar.com, and wore one today. I have to say, they seem to be great ties. I'll have to see how they wear over time, but my first impression is very possitive. Well worth the $15 a piece.

It's hard to say after a single wearing, but they may be a regular source for me!

I don't buy many ties - only wear them for weddings, funerals and interviews. When I do want a new one, Ben Silver is one of my first stops.

You can sometimes get some good deals on ebay. I've had pretty good luck getting small lots of brand names from guys just looking to clean our their closets.

Some Chinese vendors online have $4
At that price I have been buying a couple
Dozen every year and giving the old two dozen to goodwill.

I only wear vintage ties purchased at thrift/vintage shops or from Ebay.
+1 ... I picked up a shopping bag filled with 50-some ties at a charity clothing give-away about 10 years ago. Almost all of them were wearable. I haven't had to buy a tie since.

Oh, wait, yes I did. About 2 years ago, I bought a Ralph Lauren green tie for St. Patrick's Day at Macy's. It was 75% off, and I couldn't pass it up.

Just got one for free with my latest Tyrwhitt shirt purchase.

Also have JAB and a few random from mall stores that were bought sale. I've looked through the Tie Bar but didn't see much I really liked. Might grab a few basic ones one of these days.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm a laywer. I bought fifty diffrent Star Wars ties on eBay. I like to wear my darkside ties when I have to get hard assed with the opposition:mad3:. Jedi ties are are when meeting new clients If I wear a suit that day.

Do you wear a "Darth and Luke" tie to court to find out paternity results?

Drakes, Panta, or Sam Hober.

I was quite keen on Drakes, but now tend to Sam Hober ... especially since I can get them make to my width preferences at a reasonable price.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I was quite keen on Drakes, but now tend to Sam Hober ... especially since I can get them make to my width preferences at a reasonable price.

... of course, we are a bit north of the $40 limit that the OP set for himself.

:001_rolle

I have at least 80 ties from years ago when I wore a tie every day. Now they just rest in boxes. I only wear ties now for weddings, funerals, etc. depending on where you are, there is a men,s store in Kenosha, Wisconsin. They have clothing going back to the 1920's. There must be 5,000 ties in this place. Most of them are under $20.00. If you can't find a tie there, you just don't want to wear a tie. As a side note, if you need a tux from any decade, they can handle that too. This place is more a museum than store. It is full of signed pictures from celebrities who have shopped there.

I only wear bow ties, but I have been getting most of my ties from the Tie Bar. $15 for a silk tie is not too bad. Their all cotton and all wool ties are very good.

I prefer to spend more on ties and get better quality. I am never "required" to wear a suit or tie nowadays at work, even though I work for a large multinational bank. I prefer to dress smartly for 2 main reasons. One, it makes me feel better about myself and two, people take notice. I learned a long time ago that you should dress for the job that you want, not the one you currently have. You do need to exercise caution so as not to offend you boss, at least until you know each other well enough for him to understand your intentions.

I typically keep an eye out at Nordstrom and Dillard's to see what is nice and new. If there is something that I just have to have, I usually get it. It's nice and I feel good about myself, do win win for me. Otherwise, all of the stores have annual or semi annual sales where ties are 50-80% off, and I usually hit those for some good deals on $60+ ties. YMMV

Dillard's has a new 7 gold Cremuix tie for $120 that I am jonesing for. Not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom