What's new

Shave Off Challenge

A fellow B&B member was very generous in sending me a sample pack of razors, therefore I will make the best of it by recording as much data as time allows. The goal is to find the best razor and blade combo. I will push the blade as much as I can. I have never been able to shave with a blade more than three times, usually just once.

I will use the same way to prep my face (hot towel, Proraso Pre, lather up and leave for two minutes), use three passes of WTG, XTG, ATG, and will do my best to use the same shaving soap and aftershave but that might become a challenge since I get easily bored.:blush:

I will rate on a 1-10 scale based on:
CLOSENESS
COMFORT (irritation & nicks, higher score means less of)
DURABILITY (of shave after 12 hours)
FEEDBACK (the razor gives during the shave)
ENJOYMENT
TIME (amount of time it takes to complete a 3 pass shave plus touch up if needed)

I will begin with two razors:
MERKUR SLANT 37C
GILLETTE SLIM ADJUSTABLE
I will add more razors once I determine the best blades.

BLADE LINEUP
Personna (Red)
Astra Superior
Gillette 7 O'clock (Yellow)
Iridium
Bolzano
Bic
Feather
Derby
Merkur

First up is my Merkur 37C Slant loaded with a fresh Personna (Red). Later on I will provide the details of the first shave.

BTW: I have a coarse beard and I will do my best to shave daily.

I got the idea from fellow B&B member DunEdinRanger who is a more experienced wet shaver.

I think it will be interesting. All are welcome to join :thumbup:. Details will be helpful.

Last edited:
I was very careful and tried to be patient. Result was a BBS with a nick on the upper lip. No big deal. The Slant does an amazing job on the neck, which is a trouble spot.
Here are the results:

Closeness: 10
Comfort: 9.5
Durability: 9.5
Enjoyment: 9.5
Time: 6 (27 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)
Pre: Proraso Pre
SS: Tabac
AS: Proraso balm

Can't wait until tomorrow. Usually the second is bloody with a Derby or Merkur blade.

Last edited:
Great Idea! What is the slim adjustable set at?

I don't know what setting I should use for the Slim. Once thing is certain it will be between 3 and 5. If I set it at 3, I will be testing the blades in a milder razor. So I don't know yet. Main goal is to test the blades for quality and find the best razor/blade combination.

Today I was in a bit of a hurry, yet I achieved a BBS in less time than yesterday without a single nick, which is a first. Second shaves have always been bloody in the past.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 10
Comfort: 10
Durability: 9.5 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last, otherwise I'll edit)
Enjoyment: 9.5
Time: 8 (21 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)

Very impressed with the Personna (Red) blade. We'll see how it performs tomorrow.

I dropped the blade on the counter and it landed on the cutting side and it bounced and rolled. I couldn't believe it. I took this into consideration when scoring for Comfort. The shave was close but not as comfortable as yesterday. Two small nicks and a bit of razor burn. I wanted to do a two pass to get a DFS but I've made promises so after three passes I got a decent BBS.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 9.5
Comfort: 9
Durability: 9.5 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last, otherwise I'll edit)
Enjoyment: 9
Time: 7 (24 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)

That's it for this combination of razor and blade. Again first time using a red Personna blade and I am impressed.
Next up is the Slim set at 5 with the Personna.

With the Slim I shaved with it using the same technique I used with the Slant (longer strokes at 30 degrees or less). The shave wasn't as close or comfortable and I nicked myself four times. I really like the way the Slim felt in my hand, thus the high score for enjoyment.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 8.5
Comfort: 8
Durability: 8.5 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last, otherwise I'll edit)
Time: 7 (24 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)

Tomorrow I will adjust my technique, and will use shorter strokes and increase the angle from 30 to 45. I expect tomorrow's shave to be closer and more comfortable.

Shaved a bit late but I took my time. I got a decent BBS and two small nicks. I could feel the whiskers under the nose pull when shaving ATG. Maybe the Personna blade shaves better in more aggressive razors. The setting on the razor will stay at 5 for the next shave.

I have had very nice shaves with a Slim (set at 5) and Derby combo in the past but could only get one great shave out of a single Derby.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 9
Comfort: 9
Durability: 9 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last, otherwise I'll edit)
Time: 6 (26 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)

Today's shave was better than yesterday's. Tomorrow's shave should be even better.

My intuition was right about the third shave; it was closer and more comfortable than yesterday. The transition in terms of technique from the Slant to the Slim has taken place. I use shorter strokes and rinse the razor more with the Slim. This was the best shave with this razor/blade combination.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 9.5
Comfort: 9.5
Time: 8 (20 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)

I am not sure if I should push the blade or move to the Astra blades. I think I can get at least two more shaves from the Personna, maybe even more.

Today's shave took a big dive in terms of comfort. It felt like a second shave with a Derby. After 3 passes and lots of touch ups, I barely had a BBS.

Here are the results:

Comfort: 7.5
Durability: 9 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last, otherwise I'll edit)
Enjoyment: 8
Time: 7 (22 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)

I will not go for a fifth shave with this blade. Tomorrow's shave will be with the Astra in a Slant 37C.

Today's shave took a big dive in terms of comfort. It felt like a second shave with a Derby. After 3 passes and lots of touch ups, I barely had a BBS.

Here are the results:

Comfort: 7.5
Enjoyment: 8
Time: 7 (22 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)

I will not go for a fifth shave with this blade. Tomorrow's shave will be with the Astra in a Slant 37C.

All Hail The Slant!!:thumbup:

I have a thick fast growing beard. You must have barbed wire if a blade last so little! I mean, I got 12 shaves from an Astra Keramik in a Red Tip. :001_smile

Top Bottom