What's new

Alum Block Causing Irritation?

I picked up some RazoRock as I've heard nothing but great things about using alum blocks. However, after shaving and applying some RazoRock, my face looks like it's been hit with a hammer. It goes so red it's almost purple within about 10 minutes of using it. It doesn't really sting too much when being applied so I don't think it has much to do with lack of technique. I've been wetshaving for years now and outside of the slight nick or bit of redness, I have never experienced something like this before. What I'm thinking is that either I'm having some sort of reaction to it or I'm not cleaning it off fully after application which is causing some effects. If that's the case, how hard do you have to work at getting the stuff off?

That sounds awful. I don't think getting it off after applying the RazoRock is the issue. Some people don't rinse off after using an alum block. I splash with cold water after a minute or two. There is no trick to getting it off.

I'm thinking you may want to discontinue using RazoRock.

I agree. Maybe alum is not good for your type of skin, or you may have some kind of reaction to it. Either case, maybe you should stop using it, and perhaps use something like Witch Hazel instead of it.

There is no trick to rinse the alum... I just splash some cold water, and never leave the alum more than about one minute on my face.

I'm thinking you guys are right. I shaved over an hour and a half ago and I'm still feeling some pretty bad burn and it's still very red. I more or less just wanted to see if there were other people out there who can't use alum as I've ready so many positives but I don't think one negative experience.

It sounds like it could be an allergic reaction if its really that bad. Alum does dry the skin if you leave it on for more than a couple minuets though. If you keep using it, just make sure to wash it off your face thoroughly after. I apply mine wash out my brush, rinse my razor off, and put my gear away. Then I wash it off and apply an aftershave balm. That seems to get if off my skin in just the right amount of time, so I dont get dried out.

I also can't use alum. I also picked up a Razor Rock tried it a few times and it makes my face itch really bad. I left it in the med cabinet I'll try it again as my shaving technique improves but I'm pretty sure it's not for me.

On an unrelated note, a few months back I had oral surgery, and the MD prescribed an antibiotic. When I used an aftershave my face swelled something awful. They called me pumpkinhead at the office (the SOBs). Well, a week or so after stopping the antibiotic I was able to use aftershaves again.

Is there a secret to application maybe? Myself, I run it over my face almost like a shave brush. Could it be possible that I'm over applying it?

Is there a secret to application maybe? Myself, I run it over my face almost like a shave brush. Could it be possible that I'm over applying it?

Could be, but it does not seem to matter for me how heavy I go. When I get a weeper I rub it for 5 or 10 seconds with the block, but it does not seem to change the amount of irritation.

Something that does rub my face raw is when you have a new block and the surface is still rough. I know when I got my 444 brand travel block it was like rubbing my face with metal brush, it tore me up. I took my block and rubbed the serface smooth with a towel and some water. It took some time, but it is nice and smooth almost like glass now.

Might be a possibility, what i do after i'm done shaving is: Rinse me face with warm water, followed by cold water. Then i take my alum block and just glide it over my skin, let it sit for a minute and the rinse my face again. Finally dry my face a little and apply my after shave balm.

The trick in using age-old remedies versus store bought latest and greatest is skill, either taught by a Dad or other older male mentor who has used these things and knows the pros and cons.
In a way it is passed down, either with success or dismal failure, depending on how you are trained.
This is an Art, by the way.

The trick in using age-old remedies versus store bought latest and greatest is skill, either taught by a Dad or other older male mentor who has used these things and knows the pros and cons.
In a way it is passed down, either with success or dismal failure, depending on how you are trained.
This is an Art, by the way.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Yeah he lost me there to, but maybe he's just saying that: what works for others might not work for you.
If i were you i would just lay off the alum block. It might just not be your thing.

Last edited:

I had some problems like yours when I started DE shaving and using alum, my poor technique and excessive amounts of alum were to blame.

Heres what worked for me,

Rinse your face thoroughly and be sure you have got ALL the soap off.
Don't wet the alum its self, and remove excess water from you face by patting dry with your hands until you have no more visible drops, then apply the alum, your face should be sufficiently moistened to apply enough but not too much.

I don't even rinse the alum off anymore, and my face is better for it.

That's interesting as common practice with alum is to wet it down first. So you wash everything off your face and pat dry it and then use a dry alum block after that? I assume too that you don't saturate your face with it and simple coat it?

I was trying to say the average guy doesn't use a alum block after shaving. If you are experiencing problems maybe you should switch to Nivea, or something.

That's interesting as common practice with alum is to wet it down first. So you wash everything off your face and pat dry it and then use a dry alum block after that? I assume too that you don't saturate your face with it and simple coat it?

Correct

First I used to wet the block but this used to much, then I tried wetting my face which was better but still too much, then tried after patting face until visibly dry but still moist to the touch and found this was perfect for me.

Correct

First I used to wet the block but this used to much, then I tried wetting my face which was better but still too much, then tried after patting face until visibly dry but still moist to the touch and found this was perfect for me.

Well you've given me hope my friend. I will try this out on my next shave.

I love my Alum block, It wasn't expensive either. I have acquired a taste for it, literally. Not licking a salt block like a horse, but I find I can taste it after running the block around my upper lip.

Top Bottom